Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
magstolland  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2019 15:47:09(UTC)
magstolland

Hi everyone I have an interview tomorrow for a health and safety advisor with an NHS trust. Given that the trust was recently prosecuted in relation to contractor management, do you think it would be appropriate to ask them what improvements they have made since the incident? Any help on what other questions to ask would be most welcome, or indeed what they might ask me. Thanks in advance. Mag
stevedm  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2019 06:20:30(UTC)
stevedm

Might be a little too agressive...especially if you are faced with the Manager who was involved...it does however show you have done some research into the trust...I would keep it as a 'might ask' but also be prepared for them to turn it back on you and ask how would you solve it?...sensible pragmatic answer follows...with an example of where you have done it or use a research case study for a similar incident...

Some trusts are very sensitive to that sort of criticism especially if the staff have been in place for a few years...so I would tred carefully...but you will get a feel for it during the interview...they operate standard interview routines so you can practice...both the questions and the responses...good luck :)

Andrew W Walker  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2019 07:16:58(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

Good advice from Steve. Keep the contractor question up your sleeve. Also- from experience- they may well ask you about your 90 day plan if you get the post. I mentioned 'engaging with stakeholders' 'reviewing the current system' and 'making a 180 day plan'. 

Good luck!

Andy

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 14 September 2019 05:43:10(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Its who yo know, not what you know that will get you a job in the NHS. They are so stuck in the past. Don't expect anything to happen quickly. A slow ponderous decision making/management system.