Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dannyhough  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2020 20:06:23(UTC)
Dannyhough

Hi, I’m trying to get a start ion an advisory role but it’s proving tough as most jobs require a certain period of H&S specific role experience, I’ve plenty of experience but nothing that I can attribute directly to H&S even though it’s constantly been in the background. Im self employed at the moment so whilst I’m sat getting paid to look after the kids (income support scheme) whilst the wife works from home I thought I’d look into shadowing opportunities, I’m based in the north west near Liverpool and I’ve sent emails and tried to call a number of consultants in the area but I’ve had no joy so far. Does anybody have any experience of either shadowing or been no shadowed or have any advice as to how to find someone willing to help? Thanks, Dan.
aud  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2020 13:47:49(UTC)
aud

Hi Danny

I think you may struggle to find shadowing in these socially-distancing times, it's tricky enough at best, so the Covid risk provides even more resistance to someone else in the mix. Shadowing usually involves a bit more interaction than just following someone around and listening. Fo this reason Covid will be a problem. But even generally, it is an extra demand on the person being shadowed. I would not start with consultancies - they are going to be under far too much commercial pressure even normally.

Public sector organisations such as local councils, or housing associations may be a better bet. They are more used to having work experience placements and offering unpaid opportunities for others to learn. That said, councils have had general funding and H&S resource stripped away over the last 10 years, so be prepared for negatives. Is there something you can offer in return for the shadowing? For example, some database work, make a video of the SP or places visited, to help with one of their projects. 

You don't say where you have obtained your experience or what it relates to, but there may be something you have knowledge of which can provide a benefit to the shadowee (?). 

Although there are no physical meetings at the moment, local IOSH or other safety groups may offer information on local organisations where an opportunity could exist.

thanks 1 user thanked aud for this useful post.
brownsugar on 12/07/2020(UTC)
Monaghan18093  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2020 12:44:54(UTC)
Monaghan18093

HI Danny

Firtsly, and most importantly, i hope that you have had the shadowing experience or more preferably got a position in this great field that we work in. 

Im a H&S Manager in a large NHS Trust in Liverpool. If you are still interested we could assist you in shadowing. If you are still interested PM me. If not, sincere best wishes for the futuer.

Kind Regards

thanks 1 user thanked Monaghan18093 for this useful post.
aud on 11/09/2020(UTC)