Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TClark20  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2020 06:41:05(UTC)
TClark20

Good morning!
I am a new Student Member and wonder if I can get some guidance from more established professionals, please.

I have been made redundant from my previous role in the corporate events industry, so I have decided to retrain and follow my passion for H&S.
I have almost completed my NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety and am just waiting to have the closing interview and awaiting results. I am currently studying an online IMEA Foundation Certificate in Environmental Management course and have also enrolled onto a NEBOSH Fire and Risk Management course (but need results of NG1 in order to start).

Are there any other qualifications I need to start working towards? Or immediate courses I can sign up to?
I would like to work towards my NEBOSH Diploma, but at the moment I think I need some immediate qualifications?

I am applying for entry level or junior roles in H&S, but with no luck yet, as I don't have the industry specific experience yet. I am starting the process of emailing companies and asking for work experience opportunities for now.

I live in Hemel Hempstead, Herts.

Does anyone have any input or advice that will help in these initial stages?

Kind regards

Tracy
jodieclark1510  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2020 10:55:28(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Have you looked at split role jobs? My first role was PA/ H&S Admin, I had my general and fire certs, limited experience and an employer that wasn't particularly interested in me progressing before i moved on. Also, maybe have a look at your CV/ letter of application, is it targeted towards health and safety? Do you have transferrable skills that you can pull from other roles and apply more into Health and Safety? All I can suggest is to keep plugging away at it, it took a while for me to land my first role, but worth it. Also, don't be afraid to say you may not be experienced in a field, know and own your limits- I sat in an interview and for nearly an hour admitted no experience, but a willingness to learn ( I had only worked on POST 2000 builds, loads of questions were asbestos related), I've been there 5 1/2 years now and can't imagine being anywhere or doing anything else. If i can help with anything please message me, and Good Luck!

TClark20  
#3 Posted : 09 November 2020 12:37:15(UTC)
TClark20

Hi Jodie
Thanks for your post!
Yes, I have tried to make my CV and cover letter as transferable as possible and have highlighted that I am new to this industry and am ready and willing to train and learn in order to develop. I am keeping an eye open on all job options at the moment to get my foot in the door and learn. Even willing to do unpaid work experience if necessary, then hopefully land a good job after that!
Fingers crossed eh!
I am not afraid of hard work or studying as much as I can :)
jodieclark1510  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2020 13:48:21(UTC)
jodieclark1510

One that you could try possibly is if Herts fire service have a volunteering programme- I volunteered with Essex Police & County Fire and Rescue for 2 years helping with station open days, stalls at College open days, visiting residentis for home fire safety guidance and some basic home security- it helped me with my confidence speaking to people more than the fire or safety aspect ( but I was bit further along than where you are now).

You'll get there I'm sure, the hard work is worth it in the end, no two days are ever the same, I won't lie, it can be a thankless industry, to me it makes it even more worth it.

Mark-W  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2020 14:27:15(UTC)
Mark-W

Just to jump in here, I was always told that 80% of jobs aren't advertised, I know the figure is wrong but I'd say there will be a high number of jobs available that haven't made their way onto the job market.

Send in speculative CV's to companys in the industry you want to work in. If you meet the criteria or close to it and it means th company noit paying a fee to recruiters then you could be in luck.

The mistake people make is having 1 CV and 1 covering letter, you have to take the time and tailor each to the job/company you want. Highlighting the skills you have that are specific to the job you want.

You don't need to rewrite the whole CV, just emphasize the correct information or amend the opening paragraph.

TClark20  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2020 14:40:46(UTC)
TClark20

Thanks Mark and Jodie

Yes, I do try to tailor my cv to the jobs, but no luck as yet.
Will keep going and also will look at Herts fire station options.

Tracy
Lawlee45239  
#7 Posted : 10 November 2020 11:04:54(UTC)
Lawlee45239

Hi Tracy,

Well done on your studies thus far, and all the best with the IEMA course. 

You are living in a prime area with a lot of industry close by you, and therefore should have ample sectors to look into, be it in manufacturing, industrial, aviation (Luton airport), petrolium, retail and/ or construction not to mention utilities.  

If having no luck, perhaps ask if its possible to go in to shadow a safety person for a week, this will give you a working insight into the various industries and perhaps spark an interest in a specific area. 

Safety is a very varied field, I personally am in construction, no 2 hours are the same let alone days!