Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Davidfilce  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2021 16:48:21(UTC)
Davidfilce

Hi All

I am trying to find a better way of tagging lifting equipment from a Nano-tag insert with a date written in every 6 months to a colour coded system, mainly to get round the re-writing of tags due to the unique re-inspection date for each piece of kit (our inspections can last a week or so, so one date doesnt cover all).

I wanted to use a colour system I have seen elsewhere, so all blue tags until the end of March, red tags to the end of september for example

However, the LOLER regs seem to make the date absolutely specific, so any equipment inspected on, say 27th March, has to be reinspected by the 27th September. There is no "grace" until the end of September.

Is there anything anyone knows that can allow a blanket full 6 month period relate to a tag colour or do we have to stick with the actual dates?

I hope I have explained myself okay

Dave

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2021 16:53:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

We have a board "The current tag colour is..."

As equipment is inspected we put a new single colour zip-tie on the item.

Anything with no tie or a different colour is Do Not Use.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2021 16:53:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

We have a board "The current tag colour is..."

As equipment is inspected we put a new single colour zip-tie on the item.

Anything with no tie or a different colour is Do Not Use.

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2021 18:52:17(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi David, assuming that there isn't a scheme of examination that says otherwise the 6 months is a MAXIMUM.

So, if you get your thorough examinations done during a week that might run from say Monday 29 March to Friday 2 April, fine if your tags say (via the colour code, and with an optional text addition) that everything needs to be NEXT done by 29 September.

So, in effect you just need to schedule your thorough examinations at 25 week intervals rather than 26 weeks.

It's roughly the opposite of the old rules (e.g. in Factories Act 1961 Sections 27 and 35/36) for thorough examinations at 14 and 26 month intervals, with the 26 months applying to steam and air receivers).

In ye olden days, whole towns would shut up industry for two week Summer hols (and everyone met up in Blackpool or wherever) at the same time each year. While they were away the thorough examiners would do the whole town and if they got their sequence in the wrong order it didn't matter as there was a 2 month safety net.

For whatever reason the 6 months was always 6 months with no safety net, other than the possibility of the equivalent of a written scheme of examination to permit a longer period.

Gerry Knowles  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2021 14:19:42(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

I worked for ICI/Dupont for a lot of years. On our plant we had a huge amount of lifting equipment.  We used the colour code system. This worked very well for us with it being done on a five month cycle.  This gave a month to locate and test any missing items.  For this to happen we used an external examiner provided by our insurers.  We also had a strong culture where everyone knew which colour/colours were valid at the time and a single secure area where items which had either the wrong or no colour coding were placed to await examination. So a colour coding system can work, but it needs a strong culture where everyone knows what to do and does what is required.