Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Paul S12  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2021 20:14:22(UTC)
Paul S12

Has anybody got any examples of scalding risk assessments in a non health care environment and how the balance of scalding verses Legionella is approached/considered.

Thanks in anticipation.

chris.packham  
#2 Posted : 20 April 2021 08:05:38(UTC)
chris.packham

My comments were less to do with the risk of scalding but more with the effect on skin barrier, and thus on the potential for damage to health from washing in hot water. Water has long been identified as a skin irritant by dermatologists and wet work is the most common cause of occupational irritant contact dermatitis. With the current encouragement for frequent hand washing due to Covid-19 there has been an increase in cases of irritant contact dermatitis. So anything that increases the damage that this causes is something that should be avoided. In my experience the cost of fitting temperature control valves is insignificant compared with any increase in skin damage that hot water (not scalding) will cause. Moreover, when fitted it is often found that they reduce the comsumption of hot water and hence reduce the cost of heating it. So they can even be cost saving.

chris.packham  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2021 09:20:57(UTC)
chris.packham

Apologies, my post was intended for a different thread. However, in response to your question, are you referring to general exposure to hot water, e.g. for hand washing, dish washing etc. or is this a one-off type situation due to some accidental and unplanned exposure to hot water. The forme is relatively easily resolved by the use of a thermoregulatory mixervalve in the system close to the point of use. Thus hot water is fed through the system, i.e. no issues with legionella, and mixed with  cold water to the correct temperature at the point of use. PM me if you need more on this.