Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hopeful  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2021 09:39:50(UTC)
hopeful

Good morning

I am looking at our processes around home and remote working and one question that we have is how to manage the PAT testing of equipment. Some will be relatively low risk such as printers and screens that we provide as they are unlikely to move so possible visual checks during a DSE assessment may be adequate. However laptops and the cables are higher risk as there is an increased possibility of damage as cables are chucked into the bottom of bags etc. We have staff across the country but do not have offices with the ability to undertake PAT testing when people pop in. 

Does anyone else have a similar situation and have a solution or do people think visual checks by users is adequate?

Thank you in advance

Dazzling Puddock  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2021 11:06:44(UTC)
Dazzling Puddock

Visual checks by users is enough for laptop chargers and IT equipment in my opinion.

DaveDowan  
#3 Posted : 05 May 2021 12:00:47(UTC)
DaveDowan

Hi We have produced a visual check video which our staff can use, they have to attest to their line manager that this is done. If there any defects we ask them to order new kit and return the damaged items

aud  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2021 21:12:33(UTC)
aud

This kind of question comes up a lot, so I have chosen this thread to have a bit of a rant. So. Please don't take this personally, Hopeful!

There is no need for PATting anything and everything, I would advise not having this as a policy. 

As others have stated, for most homeworking situations, with a PC / laptop, visual inspection is fine. Nobody has ever been able to show me evidence of faulty laptops, printers etc. from PAT testing even over a few years. Lamps, fans, kettles, extension leads - maybe, occasionally, but when there was also visible evidence of maltreatment. I'm not saying never, just likelihood of electrical defect is very low.

However, the bigger risk area, especially in individual homes, is from using multigang adaptors and extensions. These should be supplied by the organisation, (not by refunding workers who get their own from unvalidated sources). They can be poor design with inherant faults as supplied, and of course can be misused, ading to any risk already there from the property system.

The most serious electrical failure outcome I know of, from an employer supplied laptop supplied for home working, was when one blew up, whilst the person was out walking the dog. When she came back, the 400 year old thatched grade II listed historical cottage was well alight, with fire service in attendance. The laptop was fitted with a battery which was subject to a recall, having had a number of such failures.

PAT testing would not have identified that fault. My focus would be to emphasise the importance of unplugging any phone chargers, laptops, etc. which can overheat, and to avoid overloading sockets.

thanks 2 users thanked aud for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 13/05/2021(UTC), GavGregson on 14/05/2021(UTC)