Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
achrn  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2021 14:35:32(UTC)
achrn

At the outset: I don't want to discuss 'no jab no job'.  We won't be adopting that as a policy.

However, I'm interested to know what people are doing about asking staff their vaccine status, and whether (and how) vaccine status is influencing your planning for returning to the workplace.

We are a basically fit office-based organisation.  I don't think we have any unusually clinically vulnerable employees, but I know we have some that live with clinically vulnerable people in their household.

On the one hand, I'd rather not have the data - I want as little medical records data as I can possibly get away with.  I also don't want to open up the possibility of discriminating due to medical conditions (e.g. if someone can't have the vaccination due to some medical condition).  For those reasons I'd rather not even ask if people have been vaccinated, nor make it part of the return to office conditions.

Conversely, however, there's the duty of care to other employees issue.  If we ask people to come back to the office, does the duty of care to people we ask to return extend to ensuring (reaonable practicable blaah blaah) that the other people in the workplace aren't going to give them Covid?

How are others tackling this?

We never previously asked staff about their e.g. flu vaccine status. 

I know Covid should be a public health issue not a occupational H&S issue, but like it or not, it is being portrayed by government as a H&S issue for employers to deal with, so we're stuck with that.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2021 15:04:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Nothing really

Staff and students (we are a university) are advised to get vaccinated  when told  by the NHS. The NHS is working through the population, vaccinating people according to a protocol  based on their perception  of  vulnerability and so neither staff or students  have any control over whether they are being offered a vaccination.  My wife just got here second jab yesterday but  I ‘m still waiting for my second and I know loads of people who are still waiting for their first.

We are not asking for vaccination passports; just following the government road map which is based on when we start to approach something along the lines of herd immunity. ..and then there is talk of boosters.

HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2021 15:23:15(UTC)
HSSnail

Im not sure its even legal to ask! We are just following government guidance so dont ask about vaccination and encorage but dont insist on home testing at the moment. Until the government guidance tells me otherwise i wont be going there. I did see they were considering making vaccination mandatory for health workers , but it looks like they have backed off that one. - I two think this is a public health issue and if we are not careful all we will do is give the lawers a great pay day.

If someone does tell you they have not been vacinated what will you do? Make them work at home - put them in an isolation room in the office? Its a real nightmare!

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2021 16:39:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

None of your business is what a persons vaccine status is.

The sooner idiots stop selfishly pushing the concept of "passports" the better. Either by vaccination or infection we still have no clear evidence that either scenario stops the person being a carrier or transmitter.

We do on the other hand have accounts of persons becoming re-infected, or even infected after their first / second jab.

Also, if two jabs is supposedly sufficient why is there currently talk of a winter booster?

How are they going to follow that on a "passport"?

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
webstar on 07/05/2021(UTC), N Hancock on 10/05/2021(UTC), The Iron Chicken on 11/05/2021(UTC), webstar on 07/05/2021(UTC), N Hancock on 10/05/2021(UTC), The Iron Chicken on 11/05/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 06 May 2021 16:39:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

None of your business is what a persons vaccine status is.

The sooner idiots stop selfishly pushing the concept of "passports" the better. Either by vaccination or infection we still have no clear evidence that either scenario stops the person being a carrier or transmitter.

We do on the other hand have accounts of persons becoming re-infected, or even infected after their first / second jab.

Also, if two jabs is supposedly sufficient why is there currently talk of a winter booster?

How are they going to follow that on a "passport"?

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
webstar on 07/05/2021(UTC), N Hancock on 10/05/2021(UTC), The Iron Chicken on 11/05/2021(UTC), webstar on 07/05/2021(UTC), N Hancock on 10/05/2021(UTC), The Iron Chicken on 11/05/2021(UTC)
stevedm  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2021 07:35:18(UTC)
stevedm

Yes you can ask...so long as you have the right to hold such information under your data protection registration...what you do with the information...well that is a minefield which is currently sending employment layers infor a frenzy... :)