Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markva44  
#1 Posted : 05 June 2021 11:14:23(UTC)
markva44

HI

We have a security guard at work, only 30 years old and he has had a implantable cardioverter-defibrillator fitted. What would a risk assessment involve? has anyone completed a R/A for this situation?

Thanks

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 05 June 2021 12:57:08(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Mark

I would start by talking to the individual and asking them whether they see any need to treat them differently to any other security guard.

Then, do some research Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) | BHF

..and may be seek a medical opinion as to whether there are any extra things you need to do, or limitations on what they can do.

Might well be that the implant has in effect dealt with a problem that you might not have known about. Lots of people have lived and worked without any real problems with pacemakers fitted for decades. This seems to be a variant on the same principle.

P

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
markva44 on 06/06/2021(UTC)
markva44  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2021 12:13:07(UTC)
markva44

Thanks for the input. I spoke with the person who gave me a list of do and donts relating to the icd. I gained his permission and informed all first aiders on site.

Swygart25604  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2021 14:33:25(UTC)
Swygart25604

If he's a security guard, he might not have too much exposure to large electromagnetic fields, from things like large motors, magnets, electricity supplies, induction heaters etc. I guess it depends on your working environment and what his job role entails. For sure, EMF's of reasonable strength will have an effect on implanted and bodily worn medical devices (can have the ability to make them stop functioning), so maybe that could be part of your RA?