Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Owusu-Eyiah19967  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2021 08:50:24(UTC)
Owusu-Eyiah19967

I would like to get some information on how to become a freelance trainer and where to get all the required training information to be able to do deliver the right training please.

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2021 12:33:57(UTC)
peter gotch

A very broad question!

Who would you want to train and what training would you want to give them?

Do you want to train undergraduates in the principles of health and safety management, apprentices in how to change abrasive wheels or water engineers on how to use breathing apparatus to enter confined spaces and/or to rescue people from same etc etc etc?

Owusu-Eyiah19967  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2021 14:31:37(UTC)
Owusu-Eyiah19967

Hello 

Thanks for the reply. I would like to run CSCS courses and also some IOSH courses but I visited the IOSH website and I qualify to apply with the exception of the experience. I have a years experience and I need two but at the moment im not working and dont know what to do to get the experience needed.

with regards to the CSCS I really dont know how to go about it. if you can enlighten me on the above, i will deeply appreciate it. thanks very much

chocolatekittykatt  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2021 10:00:51(UTC)
chocolatekittykatt

Not sure if you already have a qualification in 'Train the trainer' it will give an idea on how to present courses: https://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/learning/training-and-development/7300-introduction-to-trainer-skills#&acc=level2

CSCS  you will most likely be better providing citb courses like H&S Awareness, SSSTS, SMSTS... we use the ECS and thats a revision booklet with multi choice answers. We can now do remote invigilating so the employees have no need to attend a test centre (go COVID!) i affectionaly call it 'the idiot test' becuase if you fail... well!! Its so very basic for H&S introduction

Perhaps another idea is to go to another training provider and maybe volunteer to assist with lessons. They can then provide feedback on your tutoring type?

When i did my NEBOSH i 'think' Phoenix H&S said they were supporting someone in a similar vein - just a thought :)