Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dzflashm1  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2021 11:15:40(UTC)
Dzflashm1

Hi all,

We currently use vacuum brazed diamond blade in my work place. I would consider them in the abrasive wheel category. I understand training is required but I am being informed that it is requirement to have an abrasive wheel certificate. I have looked into this and companies recommend a 3-5 year refresher. My question is I cannot see anything written down that says you must have a certificate. see below this is being used by a company to advertise its courses however I can't see it the PEWUR regs. Maybe I'm looking to hard and getting word blind but I would appreciate any help on this. 

Abrasive Wheels are regulated by the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations act 1998 (PUWER). PUWER makes it a requirement that anyone using, installing and also maintaining Abrasive Wheels receives the correct training and holds the Abrasive Wheels certificate.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2021 11:53:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg17.pdf

Page 6 of 53

7 Training courses are offered by many organisations which usually provide a certificate of attendance, not competence. Further information can be obtained from the British Abrasives Federation.

Sounds like another company miss-quoting regulation to scare readers in to purchasing courses.

Perhaps the HSE guidance os what you need "contact the BAF" https://www.thebaf.org.uk/

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2021 11:53:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg17.pdf

Page 6 of 53

7 Training courses are offered by many organisations which usually provide a certificate of attendance, not competence. Further information can be obtained from the British Abrasives Federation.

Sounds like another company miss-quoting regulation to scare readers in to purchasing courses.

Perhaps the HSE guidance os what you need "contact the BAF" https://www.thebaf.org.uk/

Blackburn31728  
#4 Posted : 23 June 2021 07:37:05(UTC)
Blackburn31728

Hi its about proving compitence in training under cdm regs if trained on abrasive wheels it is recommended to have a refresher every 3 years to keep compitence of using them as some people may never have used one in this time. so if any thing occurs you can prove this has been done. do the refresher course or some legal beagle may get you if anything happens. I am a abrasive wheels trainer which is why i inform you of pitfalls not every thing is wrote down clearly

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2021 07:51:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

The CDM co-ordinator must not arrange for or instruct a worker to carry out or manage design or construction work unless the worker is competent or under the supervision of a competent person

This is the closest reference for workers I can find in the Construction Design & Management Regulations 2015.

In 32 pages of legal text the word competence does not appear.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2021 07:51:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

The CDM co-ordinator must not arrange for or instruct a worker to carry out or manage design or construction work unless the worker is competent or under the supervision of a competent person

This is the closest reference for workers I can find in the Construction Design & Management Regulations 2015.

In 32 pages of legal text the word competence does not appear.

chris42  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2021 12:47:35(UTC)
chris42

From the old regulations the definition of abrasive wheel was regarding the abrasive particles being stuck together by various means. But with these wheels the particles are not suck together to form the wheel they are bonded to the surface like sandpaper.

It is interesting they are being classed as abrasive wheels, as I don’t think these were what was envisaged when the old out of date legislation was written. I have had abrasive wheel training more years ago than I care to remember, but none of it covered these types of disc, but the bonded particle ones where you ring to test etc. I guess they could be covered on the same course, but those using these will be more likely on a construction site and may never need the other side of it.

Very interesting topic. I wonder how long the course would be for just these types of disc.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
aud on 07/07/2021(UTC)
Acorns  
#8 Posted : 25 June 2021 14:57:13(UTC)
Acorns

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

Very interesting topic. I wonder how long the course would be for just these types of disc.

Probably find its 1-2hrs training knowledge, skills and practical to be imparted yet squeezed into one or two full days training 😃
thanks 2 users thanked Acorns for this useful post.
chris42 on 25/06/2021(UTC), Roundtuit on 25/06/2021(UTC)