Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttxela  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2021 14:07:54(UTC)
ttxela

An employee who is moving abroad has given their treadmill to another employee who is planning on leaving it at work in an empty office area for anyone who fancies to use it.

I've been asked if there are any H&S issues with this....

I guess there are the obvious Covid related issues with shared gym equipment which can be dealt with by wiping down between uses etc.

Given that we know this is occuring and agree to it I guess we aquire some sort of responsibility for ensuring the equipment remains in good repair?  I like the idea and don't really want to put the kibosh on it......

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2021 15:09:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

Professional gyms hold inductions.

How is this benevolent benefactor going to ensure those who want to actually know how to without constantly popping away from their employment? 

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2021 15:09:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

Professional gyms hold inductions.

How is this benevolent benefactor going to ensure those who want to actually know how to without constantly popping away from their employment? 

WatsonD  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2021 15:25:10(UTC)
WatsonD

You have a legal duty to correctly maintain and train staff  to use any and all equipment you provide. In this instance you will not be providing it but you will be enabling its use.

I am assuming you also have showers otherwise I see no benefit of having this equipment kept at work.

I expect that the employee who was gifted it either doesn't have anywhere to put it or doesn't really want it. I would imagine that with all these things it will be a fad for a few weeks and then largely go unnoticed. 

If it was my company I would just say no. Too much of a grey area and too much hassle for something no one will end up using.

ttxela  
#5 Posted : 09 July 2021 08:51:28(UTC)
ttxela

Ho well, issue seems resolved as head office have come back with a blanket NO!

We do have on site showers and yes, the person it was gifted too doesn't have space for it at home.

Personally I'd have tried a little harder to accomodate it but a moot point now.....

Thanks for the responses in any case :)