Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
craigroberts76  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2021 10:47:23(UTC)
craigroberts76

We've been asked by a client to provide 2 x PCR tests before visiting a site, 1 is to be done within 3 days and 1 on the day of arrival (5 days work in an enclosed site with no visitors).  What is the point of 2  PCR's in such close proximity to each other? makes no sense at all, as they will also have a lateral flow on the day too.  This is covid security gone mad surely? 

Kate  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2021 10:54:08(UTC)
Kate

Is the client paying for them?

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2021 10:55:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is the client paying for these private tests?

Newspaper reports are indicating suppliers are gouging holiday makers up to £525 per test.

You only get the free NHS PCR test if you have symptoms.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2021 10:55:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is the client paying for these private tests?

Newspaper reports are indicating suppliers are gouging holiday makers up to £525 per test.

You only get the free NHS PCR test if you have symptoms.

craigroberts76  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2021 10:59:22(UTC)
craigroberts76

I think its being rolled into the day rate, but its the reason for 2, 

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2021 11:06:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Don't think - confirm - if you start adding a couple of grand for PCR testing it would be fairly obvious so highly likely to get challenged.

As with all matters construction - if the client asks and is willing to pay (for matters that are NOT illegal) invariably the client gets.

Presumably the client has issued some instruction / reasoning. If not ask them for clarification.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2021 11:06:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Don't think - confirm - if you start adding a couple of grand for PCR testing it would be fairly obvious so highly likely to get challenged.

As with all matters construction - if the client asks and is willing to pay (for matters that are NOT illegal) invariably the client gets.

Presumably the client has issued some instruction / reasoning. If not ask them for clarification.

craigroberts76  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2021 11:19:11(UTC)
craigroberts76

management quote for the work, out of my paygrade there I'm just booking them, they know the cost of the tests.  It is a client requirement for the 2 but cannot explain the reasoning, pointless waste of time and money to have 2 thats all, 

Alan Haynes  
#9 Posted : 16 July 2021 12:26:44(UTC)
Alan Haynes

It doesn't matter whether it is sensible or not - if the Client is paying for the testing, just do it
craigroberts76  
#10 Posted : 16 July 2021 12:43:47(UTC)
craigroberts76

Originally Posted by: Alan Haynes Go to Quoted Post
It doesn't matter whether it is sensible or not - if the Client is paying for the testing, just do it
I'm not saying we're not going to do it, however a) its pointless and obviously they have misunderstood testing procedures, so what else is wrong? b) its a waste of money c) excessive tests are not environmentally friendly.

stevedm  
#11 Posted : 16 July 2021 13:36:16(UTC)
stevedm

the symptom development means that you need a test 3 days apart...1 as baseline and 1 as confirmation.

rs10  
#12 Posted : 16 July 2021 15:10:43(UTC)
rs10

Hi all, A slightly different aspect to this topic - currently is it a legal requirement to isolate if notified by the NHS app?  I have been told that only if contacted directly by NHS Test and Trace via telephone is it a legal requirement to isolate.  I can only see details on this via the citizens advice web page in which it states - "You're breaking the law if you don't self-isolate when one of the following applies:

- you test postive for coronavirus

- the NHS tell you to self-isolate because you've been in contact with someone with coronavirus - this doesn't include being told by the NHS COVID-19 app

- your school tells you to self-isolate"

Can anyone please confirm?

mike350  
#13 Posted : 19 July 2021 07:19:25(UTC)
mike350

Unfortunately, when it's a requirement put in place for the client irrespective of whether it's sensible, costly or an environmental issue you don't have a choice. 

On the Test and Trace and isolation question, all the written advice suggests it's compulsory but the Health Secretary and various other news outlets have suggested it's advisory only. Most alerts come with a notification of how long you need to isolate as well which suggests that it's compulsory until we are told differently.

Kate  
#14 Posted : 19 July 2021 08:56:23(UTC)
Kate

The legislation in England making isolation compulsory has a specific exclusion for notifications by the app.

"2.—(1) This regulation applies where an adult is notified, other than by means of the NHS Covid 19 smartphone app developed and operated by the Secretary of State [...]

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Self-Isolation) (England) Regulations 2020 (legislation.gov.uk)

peter gotch  
#15 Posted : 19 July 2021 10:23:39(UTC)
peter gotch

Craig - the usual rule is that if the client gets what the client wants subject to paying for what they want.

So there are two broad reasons for NOT giving the client what they want:

1. It makes somebody break a statutory requirement - you cannot contract out of your statutory duties either as client or contractor. 

You could argue that this overkill could create more waste, and thence make it more difficult to comply with legislation, but this would probably not convince the client.

2. You can persuade the client that they don't actually want what they say they want.

Which is where clarity of the price tag and who foots the bill becomes critical. If you have a relatively standard contract, then this requirement would be a "variation" and the client should pay. If the contract allows the client to make "variations" without taking the commercial hit, then you as a contractor have a problem.

If you imagine that you were in an earlier stage in the process, i.e. bidding for the work being done, you might be in amongst say five tenderers for the work.

You could submit a compliant tender and price to do the work exactly to the client's specification but you could also submit an alternative tender in which you offer to do the work under terms which vary from the specification, including in this case avoiding doing something with no measurable value. So your price for the alternative tender would be lower than your price for the compliant tender and many clients would revisit their specification to assess whether it was unnecessarily overprescriptive.

But, having won the work, if the client says do these tests, then you probably don't have much wriggle room, except by persuasion.

However, as you have intimated this is one for the Contracts people (on both sides), who deal with the nitty gritty issues of ensuring compliance with the specification and making sure that payments are appropriate.

RVThompson  
#16 Posted : 19 July 2021 10:34:49(UTC)
RVThompson

Re when to self isolate; the NHS is still telling us to do so when contacted by the app.

https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01180/en-us?parentid=CAT-01033&rootid=

Kate  
#17 Posted : 19 July 2021 20:30:47(UTC)
Kate

The NHS tells us to do many things, such as eat a healthy diet, take exercise, check various body parts on a regular basis, etc.

Doesn't make it a legal requirement!

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
aud on 20/07/2021(UTC)
RVThompson  
#18 Posted : 20 July 2021 06:43:09(UTC)
RVThompson

I agree Kate - I wasn't trying to score a point, merely pointing out the conflicting guidance/instructions out there.

The very fact we are debating it here is illuminating to me.

HSSnail  
#19 Posted : 20 July 2021 07:50:51(UTC)
HSSnail

As others have said if the client wants it and you want the work you will have to comply. PCR does appear a little over the top - have they misunderstood and actualy mean a lateral flow test? - which you can get free from chemists - or could i think i read they ran out this week due to "freedom day".

Alan Haynes  
#20 Posted : 20 July 2021 09:37:33(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Originally Posted by: RVThompson Go to Quoted Post
I agree Kate - I wasn't trying to score a point, merely pointing out the conflicting guidance/instructions out there.
The very fact we are debating it here is illuminating to me.

Latest from BBC website

The app has always been voluntary to download and any alerts are advisory. That's because nobody knows who has been pinged due to privacy, so they can't be forced. However the official guidance was that people should isolate immediately if the app tells them too.

Apparently ithe alert from the app has been revised to stress personal decision on isolating
thanks 1 user thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
RVThompson on 20/07/2021(UTC)
stevedm  
#21 Posted : 20 July 2021 11:12:41(UTC)
stevedm

Peter G - if the client badges this as safety, as they are likely to do, then the cost will be down to the contractor and not on the client...unless you can argue additional rules or equivalancy, or indeed that it is unreasonable...

Not worth upsetting them for the price of a test...

Roundtuit  
#22 Posted : 20 July 2021 11:41:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

The BBC continues to report the hokey-cokey:

Downing Street contradicts a business minister who says self-isolating when pinged by the NHS Covid-19 app should be a matter for people and employers to decide
It is “crucial” to self-isolate when told and business should be supporting employees to do so, a No 10 spokesperson says
Earlier, Paul Scully pointed out people should not automatically self-isolate if they are "pinged" by the app, as it is advisory

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
RVThompson on 20/07/2021(UTC), RVThompson on 20/07/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#23 Posted : 20 July 2021 11:41:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

The BBC continues to report the hokey-cokey:

Downing Street contradicts a business minister who says self-isolating when pinged by the NHS Covid-19 app should be a matter for people and employers to decide
It is “crucial” to self-isolate when told and business should be supporting employees to do so, a No 10 spokesperson says
Earlier, Paul Scully pointed out people should not automatically self-isolate if they are "pinged" by the app, as it is advisory

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
RVThompson on 20/07/2021(UTC), RVThompson on 20/07/2021(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#24 Posted : 20 July 2021 11:52:31(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I thought that this was going to be a mess but it's worse than that.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
RVThompson on 20/07/2021(UTC)
Kate  
#25 Posted : 20 July 2021 11:54:45(UTC)
Kate

"Don't legally have to" is a very different thing from "should not"!