Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SammyK  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2021 15:34:03(UTC)
SammyK

Afternoon, 

Is anyone else in a H&S position feeling really deflated at the moment and fed up of how much their job is a thankless task... or is it just me? :-/ 

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2021 15:57:02(UTC)
peter gotch

Sammy - it's an occupational hazard for OSH professionals.

OSH professionals SHOULD have too much to do in a world of finite resources. So, it's all about working out your priorities.

Win one priority via influencing the decision makers, then move on to the next.

Before you reach the end of your shopping list, something(s) else will have cropped up to extend the list!

Good luck, Peter

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2021 08:29:36(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The worst bit is that you get lumbered with all of the compliance types of issues which have nothing to do with H&S but nobody else in the organisation is qualifier to deal/can be bothered to deal with; covid stuff being the classic example-then when everybody is hacked off with the extra risk assessment etc YOU get the blame for  over interpreting  the rules.  

You don’t do H&S to be loved!

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2021 08:52:08(UTC)
HSSnail

over 30 years in this game and i dont remember it ever being so bad!

Making Covid a H&S matter has made things much worse. Everyone seems to think we can wave a magic wand and keep them safe. But ask people not to stand so close or follow a 1 way system and they look at you as if you have 2 heads!

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2021 08:59:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

Try the shifting sands that are EU/UK relations (particularly product standards and shipping).

This is the realm of the truly endowed psychic trying to second guess what the next HM gov / EU commission upheaval to the state of today's knowledge will be.

A situation exassipated by an information vacuum in which rumour and counter rumour circulate, the previously blisfully ignorant perceive themselves to be experts and external consultants run amok.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2021 08:59:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

Try the shifting sands that are EU/UK relations (particularly product standards and shipping).

This is the realm of the truly endowed psychic trying to second guess what the next HM gov / EU commission upheaval to the state of today's knowledge will be.

A situation exassipated by an information vacuum in which rumour and counter rumour circulate, the previously blisfully ignorant perceive themselves to be experts and external consultants run amok.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 06 October 2021 09:05:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post
But ask people not to stand so close or follow a 1 way system and they look at you as if you have 2 heads!

Of course it will be H&S fault when vaccines become mandatory - I note Sajid is mumbling about the NHS again before any proper assessment of the car crash the diktat will cause in social care.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 06 October 2021 09:05:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

But ask people not to stand so close or follow a 1 way system and they look at you as if you have 2 heads!

Of course it will be H&S fault when vaccines become mandatory - I note Sajid is mumbling about the NHS again before any proper assessment of the car crash the diktat will cause in social care.

achrn  
#9 Posted : 06 October 2021 09:10:17(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

The worst bit is that you get lumbered with all of the compliance types of issues which have nothing to do with H&S but nobody else in the organisation is qualifier to deal/can be bothered to deal with

I think H&S sometimes gets seen as the go-to place to turn for any issue that doesn't have an obvious 'owner'.  Take it as a compliment - we have a problem, who's our top trouble-shooter? - the H&S people.  That's what I try and tell myself, anyway.

(Actually, within the last weeek I did throw my toys out when a leaky shower screen in the changing rooms leading to a patch of mouldy plasterboard was assumed to be a H&S issue.  It is now being dealt with by someone else.)

thanks 2 users thanked achrn for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 06/10/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 06/10/2021(UTC)
chris42  
#10 Posted : 06 October 2021 09:41:00(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: SammyK Go to Quoted Post

and fed up of how much their job is a thankless task 

That would be all of it.

We try and keep the employees and others safe. We try and keep the company and its management out of trouble, especially with the courts.

However, we are perceived as forcing unnecessary rules and work practices on employees and restrictions on others (until something goes wrong then we have not done enough). The company management seem to feel we just want them to spend money on frivolous things and slow down work (until it goes wrong, and we are blamed for other people’s stupidity).

Once you accept all that everything is good, isn't it?

Only a few enlightened realise we are on their side, our task is to increase the number of enlightened.

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
RVThompson on 06/10/2021(UTC), thunderchild on 12/10/2021(UTC)
RVThompson  
#11 Posted : 06 October 2021 14:56:22(UTC)
RVThompson

Reminds me of a film, where the book of enlightment that the intrepid protagonist was looking for, was actually a book of mirrors...

Nerdy1  
#12 Posted : 06 October 2021 15:36:46(UTC)
Nerdy1

over 30 years in this game and i dont remember it ever being so bad!

Making Covid a H&S matter has made things much worse. Everyone seems to think we can wave a magic wand and keep them safe. But ask people not to stand so close or follow a 1 way system and they look at you as if you have 2 heads!

This is very relatable!!!

firesafety101  
#13 Posted : 06 October 2021 17:52:14(UTC)
firesafety101

I walked the quicksand for a good few years until my Epiphany.  I decided to show a positive attitude and instead of making enemies I started to make friends.

Find some common ground with people and give friendly advice.

For example I once came across a young site op using a kango not wearing any hearing protection.  His argument was that he is a singer in a heavy metal band so is well used to more noise than the kango was making.  I asked who his favourite bands were and after he told me I suggested he look at their ears next time he sees them play and see the ear defenders they wear to protect their hearing.

Next time I met him on site he was wearing hearing defenders and we had a nice friendly chat.

Holliday42333  
#14 Posted : 07 October 2021 12:37:09(UTC)
Holliday42333

Originally Posted by: firesafety101 Go to Quoted Post

I walked the quicksand for a good few years until my Epiphany.  I decided to show a positive attitude and instead of making enemies I started to make friends.

Find some common ground with people and give friendly advice.

For example I once came across a young site op using a kango not wearing any hearing protection.  His argument was that he is a singer in a heavy metal band so is well used to more noise than the kango was making.  I asked who his favourite bands were and after he told me I suggested he look at their ears next time he sees them play and see the ear defenders they wear to protect their hearing.

Next time I met him on site he was wearing hearing defenders and we had a nice friendly chat.

It's great when this happens isn't it.

Thing is I remember applying a similar approach to the same issue, in the same way with two different people minutes apart.  One of them went like the above.  In the other I was called a 'Sanctamonious p****'.  Can't win them all.

HSSnail  
#15 Posted : 08 October 2021 12:21:28(UTC)
HSSnail

No new posts on the site for nearly 24 hours - are we all so fed up we have packed it in? Have a good weekend everyone.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
RVThompson on 08/10/2021(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#16 Posted : 08 October 2021 13:29:24(UTC)
A Kurdziel

No still here

We are having a periodic cleanout and we keep finding gems left over from the 1980’s. So Mr Kurdziel, how do we get rid of X: can’t we just pour it down the drain?

peter gotch  
#17 Posted : 08 October 2021 15:52:03(UTC)
peter gotch

AK - to which the reply might be "that might have been OK in the 1980s but..."

P

thunderchild  
#18 Posted : 12 October 2021 15:52:09(UTC)
thunderchild

Nope, I feel like it most days. Particularaly at the moment, feel like a mushroom most days trying to poke my head from an enrmous pile of sh*t to find myself still in the dark.

A Kurdziel  
#19 Posted : 13 October 2021 09:31:32(UTC)
A Kurdziel

One issue is that on the whole H&S professionals tell the truth.  Often bosses who are out of their depth ie most of them, decide to deal with it by, rather than by ignoring it(always a cheap option) they hire a consultant. Consultants, at least ones who want to get repeat work, are basically flatterers who tell the client what they want to hear(Dante puts these people in the 8th circle of Hell). They then scatter  unicorn dust and make everything ok and finally send the bill. Us H&S types say, this is what you need to do, and it will cost you; not something that will guarantee your  popularity.

peter gotch  
#20 Posted : 13 October 2021 10:34:21(UTC)
peter gotch

AK - I have come across a fair few H&S people over the years who fall within your description of "Consultants"!