Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iluvmywife  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2021 07:28:01(UTC)
iluvmywife

Hi guys,

Quick question today that I hope someone can shed some light on,

Common sense aside, should LPG (Gas) forklift trucks be driven out of a building during a fire evacuation?

I understand the need to remove the explosive (gas) from the scene but vehicle people segregation at emergency exits could be a little tricky if only one exit availible and many truck to evacuate.

Many thanks...

Pete

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 07 October 2021 08:13:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Would you be expected to drag out gas cylinders or jerry cans of petrol? The aim of evacuation is to get people out and to a place of safety.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 07/10/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2021 08:20:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Keep to the simple message get out, stay out.

Don't complicate matters with thoughts of moving FLT's taking keys/leaving keys.

Leave the professionals to do their job.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2021 08:20:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Keep to the simple message get out, stay out.

Don't complicate matters with thoughts of moving FLT's taking keys/leaving keys.

Leave the professionals to do their job.

iluvmywife  
#5 Posted : 07 October 2021 08:42:22(UTC)
iluvmywife

Thanks guys,

I have just started a new job and the previous Health and Safety manager stated that if you are in a forklift truck, drive it out of the building.

I was a bit supprised by this and thought i'd check.

thanks again

Kate  
#6 Posted : 07 October 2021 10:19:57(UTC)
Kate

You were quite right to be surprised!

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
stevedm on 07/10/2021(UTC)
Gerry Knowles  
#7 Posted : 07 October 2021 12:37:53(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

Leave them where they are, the professional firefighters will deal with them.  Remember, you can replace buildings, equipment and even forklifts. You cant replace a peson. Get out and stay out. 

Holliday42333  
#8 Posted : 07 October 2021 12:56:45(UTC)
Holliday42333

Absolutely agree; get out, stay out.

You predesessor was probably trying (or had been put under pressure to try) to mitigate what happens if a Fire & Rescue Service turn up to a fire to be told there are LPG cylinders in the building.

Best case scenario is they direct all their pumps to protect or cool the cylinders as a BLEVE from a cylinder is very much a threat to life.  This may leave parts of the building to burn as protection of life comes before protection of property.

Worst case is they put a large exclusion zone around the building and it burns.

Either case is catastrophic for the business, particularly as there is normally the assumption that everyone will escape.

thanks 1 user thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 07/10/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 07 October 2021 14:25:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

May have crept in as part of business continuity planning given an FLT is not really an "off-the shelf" item being several weeks to replace, even as a rental rather than purchase.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 07/10/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 07/10/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 07 October 2021 14:25:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

May have crept in as part of business continuity planning given an FLT is not really an "off-the shelf" item being several weeks to replace, even as a rental rather than purchase.

A Kurdziel on 07/10/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 07/10/2021(UTC)
chris42  
#11 Posted : 07 October 2021 15:36:36(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: iluvmywife Go to Quoted Post

but vehicle people segregation at emergency exits could be a little tricky if only one exit availible and many truck to evacuate.

Roller shutter doors are not normally considered acceptable as an official fire escape route, unless it is one of those types that have a pedestrian door built into it. People and vehicles should not be using the same entrance / exit.

Or at least this is what I have been told in the past by our external fire assessors.

Chris

Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 07 October 2021 16:15:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

In event of emergency ignore external fire assessor comments and exit by nearest usable means.

Kate on 09/10/2021(UTC), Kate on 09/10/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 07 October 2021 16:15:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

In event of emergency ignore external fire assessor comments and exit by nearest usable means.

Kate on 09/10/2021(UTC), Kate on 09/10/2021(UTC)
Messey  
#14 Posted : 08 October 2021 20:17:05(UTC)
Messey

Of course, everyone here is right when they state safety is everything and usually that would involve evacuating staff and to hell with machinery, processes or anything else. Indeed, in most cases, that could work.

But it is perfectly acceptable for measures to be taken to reduce risk, shut down plant, isolate operations and other measures to mitigate further expense and business continuity issues. Of course, any such procedures need to be fully risk assessed and put into procedures.

Many businesses have staff who delay their evacuation by seconds to carry out this sort of operation. 

Consider this OP's situation. The fire alarm operates. There is no visible signs of fire in the warehouse. It may well be possible to move a LPG vehicle to outside safely - notwithstanding any RA would need to consider evacuees. 

Lets not forget the fire service will delay offensive firefighting (ie going into a fire) where LPG is present and may decide to fight the fire from the outside. So in some cases, rmoving any such risk isnt a bad idea...... in carried out safely 

johnc  
#15 Posted : 09 October 2021 11:59:47(UTC)
johnc

Originally Posted by: iluvmywife Go to Quoted Post
Thanks guys,I have just started a new job and the previous Health and Safety manager stated that if you are in a forklift truck, drive it out of the building.I was a bit supprised by this and thought i'd check.thanks again
Agree with Messey and if you look at the above posting it indicates that the only trucks that will be moved outside are those which are being used when the alarm goes off. This reduces the amount of LPG in the building and reduces the loss of trucks in a fire which means the downtime following a fire may be reduced as equipment will still be available.
A Kurdziel  
#16 Posted : 11 October 2021 08:42:36(UTC)
A Kurdziel

If you have an art gallery full of Leonardo and Michelangelo pictures then yes, you might consider  a plan to evacuate them, based on where the fire was and the actual risk at that moment in time. You would have features designed to limit the spread of fire and you would incorporate the plan into your overall procedures.

From the original post it implies that there is simply an instruction to get the FLTs out of the building.  The original poster was obviously concerned as that is all that they were told; it was not clear how this evacuation was to take place. Would the FLT form an orderly queue to get out? Who would have priority at doorways shared with pedestrians etc.  

As someone said keep it simple: get the people out and worry about the stock etc later.  Unless you have a genuine plan that you really need.

CptBeaky  
#17 Posted : 11 October 2021 09:18:46(UTC)
CptBeaky

Im(h)o, this all really depends on the workplace. If, for example, everyone used a forklift, had their own personal access door in clos eproximity, and the area the worked in was low risk, and fitted with fire control hardware I could envision a situation in which driving the forklifts to a safe place could be considered reasonable in the case of a fire.

However, without full knowledge of the site then I doubt any H&S professional would ever recommend driving a forklift  during a fire evacuation.

In my place of work we have 3 forklifts and 80 people working. During an evacuation the drivers are told to stop their flt as soon as it is safe to do so (and it is not causing an obstruction), turn off the engine and gas, remove the keys and evacuate. This should take less than 20 seconds.

I would worry that a person could be struck during the confusion of  an evacuation. I would worry that the forklifts could cause an obstruction during evacuation. I worry that the flt would give the driver a false sense of security, meaning they would take more risks. And finally, I worry that if the situation esculated during the evacuation blocking the route, the driver would waste time having to get off the flt, thus putting themselves in more danger.

Basically, as always, it comes down to your (fire) risk assessment. If it concludes that evacuating the flts is reasonable, and the controls to protect your employees are suitable and sufficient, then go for it. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to argue for that in court though.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 11/10/2021(UTC)
pseudonym  
#18 Posted : 11 October 2021 09:26:13(UTC)
pseudonym

All the information we have is that contained in the original post - no idea of size of site / facility, how many people present, how many gas powered trucks, where they may be or where / how many exits there are to the building .. .. and yet such certainty from some of us

Yes, the simple message leave the building - perhaps driving the FLT out is the quickest and safest way for the driver to exit the building? Yes, leave the site but leave it in a safe condition / one that doesn't contribute to the fire hazard - maybe this means park them up safely (not blocking exits, not creating further hazards etc). The only honest answer to the post might be something along the lines of "normally leave by the nearest safe exit, but your circumstances may necessitate further action, which may include swithcing equipment off, driving gas powered trucks out of hte building (if safe to do so), or any orther such action as may be specified", we just don't know and have jumped in with our assumptions as if we know exactly what the site is like (and also what we haven't been told by the poster)

chris42  
#19 Posted : 11 October 2021 09:56:37(UTC)
chris42

So, if you do allow the fork trucks to be evacuated you are are back to the OP’s question.

Although people my use the big opening in the wall to get out if they know this will take them to a place of safety ( not an enclosed yard), generally for H&S you should segregate people and vehicles. Therefore, there should be a pedestrian door as well as the roller shutter door for the fork truck. Then you would ideally have a segregated walkway outside to a place of safety. This is all in normal use unless no pedestrian needs to go to this outside area.

If you are intending to use this vehicle access as a secondary means of escape, will the door always be open? How would they use it in a power cut if closed in the winter? If there is a chain can it really be opened quickly with a single action?

In addition 14.3 (e) seems to say you should not plan on it to be used!

BS 9999:2017

14.2           Acceptable means of escape

i.         wicket doors and gates (except from high risk areas), provided that:

1.       they are not intended to be used by members of the public;

2.       not more than 10 persons are expected to use them in an emergency;

3.       they provide an opening at least 500 mm wide, with the top of the opening not less than 1.5 m above the floor level and the bottom of the opening not more than 250 mm above the floor level;

14.3           Generally unacceptable means of escape

e.       security grilles and shutters (roller, folding or sliding), loading doors, goods doors, sliding doors and up-and-over doors, unless they are capable of being easily and quickly opened. If power-operated they should:

1.       be provided with a fail-safe system for opening if either the mains supply and/or any alternative power supply fails;

2.       be capable of being easily and quickly opened manually;

firesafety101  
#20 Posted : 11 October 2021 12:32:55(UTC)
firesafety101

Interesting discussion.  What I will add is to tell every fork truck operator to park up safety as above and remember where they left the FLT.  When the FRS arrive notify them where the trucks are located and let them decide how to deal with the fire.

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
Kate on 11/10/2021(UTC)
iluvmywife  
#21 Posted : 17 October 2021 19:42:06(UTC)
iluvmywife

Thank you everyone for your time and input, I will certainly take onboard all the comments posted.

thanks 1 user thanked iluvmywife for this useful post.
peter gotch on 18/10/2021(UTC)