Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nelly13  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2021 14:12:19(UTC)
nelly13

Hi

Can you all let me know your thought, probably been asked many times!!

Member of staff slips over in the workplace, but they are on a non-paid break. Injures their knee which has now resulted in being unable to attend work for more than 7 consecutive days. Would you report under riddor or not?

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2021 14:25:29(UTC)
HSSnail

what did they slip on? The fact they were on a break is irrelevant in my view.

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2021 14:31:54(UTC)
A Kurdziel

They can either be classed as being at work or being a member of the public. Me I‘d go for being at work and  report it based on that. You don’t want to go the member of the public route. Under RIDDOR there is no other classification.

nelly13  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2021 14:32:27(UTC)
nelly13

Hi Brian

There was no witnesses, but reported slipping on a piece of paper

HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2021 14:55:35(UTC)
HSSnail

Always fun when no witnesses, but they were in the building because it was thier place of work, if the paper came from the work activity (blown off desk, dropped by someone else etc), and you have a duty to kep the workplace claer of slip hazards then i would say reportable. Unfortunatly these days in RIDDOR we are always looking for "blame". there may be very little you can do about an accident of this type.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Kate on 19/10/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2021 15:35:34(UTC)
peter gotch

Nelly - without repeating what has already been said, reportable in my book.

As has been written many times on these forums (once today on another thread!) RIDDOR is NOT about liability.

P

Gerry Knowles  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2021 09:03:44(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

I cant believe we are still having this debate.  Its not about liability, and we as professionals whould be following the rules and reporting not looking for every angle to try and not report.  I have reported many incidents and injuries over the years and only on a couple of occasions have the HSE shown any interest other that adding it to their statistics.  The boggie man is not out to get you!!  Rant over!!

thanks 1 user thanked Gerry Knowles for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 19/10/2021(UTC)
HSSnail  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2021 11:14:34(UTC)
HSSnail

Sorry if my reply mislead andyone. To try and be clear (with RIDOR is that possible) you need to establish if the incident arose out of the work activity and not who is to blame for it.

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2021 12:10:48(UTC)
A Kurdziel

...and as we all say the issue is when someone decided that RIDDOR reports are to be treated as an internal  KPI indicating a “sign of failure”.  Which is why otherwise sane people spend so much time and effort trying to find loopholes in RIDDOR.    

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 19/10/2021(UTC), Gerry Knowles on 26/10/2021(UTC)