Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kwoodhouse  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2021 14:11:08(UTC)
kwoodhouse

What is the timescale for completing remedial work following an unsatisfactory EICR inspection (codes C2 and FI) at an industrial premises?

Once completed, do you have to be re-inspected in order to obtain a satisfactory report?

paul.skyrme  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2021 15:05:42(UTC)
paul.skyrme

If you have C2 & FI actions on an EICR, then these are likely to require notable re-work to remedy.

To that end the organisation undertaking the remedial works should provide an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC), or Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (MWC).

These when combined with the original EICR should provide evidence that the installation is now satisfactory.

You are welcome to ask the contractor to undertake or issue a satisfactory EICR, but this could attract further work and costs, depending upon the time between the initial EICR & the completion of the works, and the parties involved.

The IET and electrical schemes do not specify a time period for remedial works.

The description for C2 given in BS 7671 is:

"For items classified in Section K as C2 ('Potentially dangerous'), the safety of those using the installation may be at risk and it is recommended that a skilled person or persons competent in electrical installation work undertakes the necessary remedial work as a matter of urgency."

For FI it is:

"Where it has been stated in Section K that an observation requires further investigation (code FI) the inspection has revealed an apparent deficiency which may result in a code C1 or C2, and could not, due to the extent or limitations of the inspection, be fully identified. Such observations should be investigated without delay. A further examination of the installation will be necessary, to determine the nature and extent of the apparent deficiency (see Section F)."

The timescale for remedial works may well be stipulated by the business insurer, however.

kwoodhouse  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2021 15:32:15(UTC)
kwoodhouse

Many thanks Paul, that's really helpful.

SammyK  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2021 15:33:29(UTC)
SammyK

I don't think you do have to have them return once work has completed. I've been led to believe that the report is the certificate. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Sammy 

paul.skyrme  
#5 Posted : 01 November 2021 16:31:28(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Originally Posted by: SammyK Go to Quoted Post

I don't think you do have to have them return once work has completed. I've been led to believe that the report is the certificate. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Sammy 

An EICR and an EIC are two completely different documents, and they are not interchangeable.

One is a report on the condition of the installation, the other is a legally binding certificate and declaration by the persons signing it that the electrical work stipulated on the EIC is in compliance with BS 7671 at the time the work is done.