Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikebarter  
#1 Posted : 02 November 2021 17:47:11(UTC)
mikebarter

Hi All. I have a case where an employee, who works from home, has sustained a significant burns injury after her coffee pot/flask failed and poured over her foot. She has been off work for 3 weeks and attended hospital multiple times. Firstly, would anyone consider this reportable under RIDDOR? And secondly, what would an employers liability be regarding this type of accident? Any advice or links to decent information would be very much appreciated. Regards Mike
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 02 November 2021 18:36:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Do you as employer pay for the "home"?

Did you as employer supply and agree to maintain the coffee maker?

Likely both of the above are NO which is exactly the case with any RIDDOR duties - it was a domestic accident (even if it occurred during contractual hours).

With no input to the property or equipment involved what makes you think employers liability applies?

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 02 November 2021 18:36:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Do you as employer pay for the "home"?

Did you as employer supply and agree to maintain the coffee maker?

Likely both of the above are NO which is exactly the case with any RIDDOR duties - it was a domestic accident (even if it occurred during contractual hours).

With no input to the property or equipment involved what makes you think employers liability applies?

Kate  
#4 Posted : 03 November 2021 04:30:08(UTC)
Kate

This isn't work-related so not RIDDOR.

There was no negligence by the employer and the injury was not caused by faulty work equipment, so there is no employer's liability.

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
chris42 on 03/11/2021(UTC), stevedm on 03/11/2021(UTC)
mikebarter  
#5 Posted : 03 November 2021 07:44:33(UTC)
mikebarter

As I expected. Many thanks.
HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 04 November 2021 09:48:52(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

This isn't work-related so not RIDDOR.

There was no negligence by the employer and the injury was not caused by faulty work equipment, so there is no employer's liability.

Unless this is a catering company and she was filling the flask to take to clients! _ but i think i would agree with you Kate - just playing devils advocate.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 04/11/2021(UTC)