Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Philip Neal  
#1 Posted : 03 November 2021 09:23:14(UTC)
Philip Neal

Anyone know best practice of how often should someone recieve forklift truck/moffett refresher training?

We've always done refresher training every 3 years, but would be good to know what everyone else does.

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2021 09:41:08(UTC)
CptBeaky

"There is no specific time period after which you need to provide refresher training or formal assessment. However, you may decide that automatic refresher training or a retest after a set period (for example 3-5 years) is the best way to make sure employees remain competent."

HSE site

We tend to base it on experience, accidents, reported near misses etc. Although we max out at 5 years. Most places use 3 years in my experience, mainly because that is what is pushed by the training companies. If you can safely push it back it can be a significant saving, that can be better used elsewhere.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
chris42 on 03/11/2021(UTC)
johnc  
#3 Posted : 03 November 2021 20:50:24(UTC)
johnc

Originally Posted by: CptBeaky Go to Quoted Post
"There is no specific time period after which you need to provide refresher training or formal assessment. However, you may decide that automatic refresher training or a retest after a set period (for example 3-5 years) is the best way to make sure employees remain competent."HSE site We tend to base it on experience,accidents,reported near misses etc. Although we max out at 5 years. Most places use 3 years in my experience, mainly because that is what is pushed by the training companies. If you can safely push it back it can be a significant saving, that can be better used elsewhere.
This is quite correct 're HSE perspective. However it isn't the training companies that say it is three years, it is the accrediting(awarding) bodies that say it. As that is the standard set by those bodies you may find your insurance company will insist upon it. I can remember NHS Trusts having to do annual manual handling training for clinical staff because the RCN said so and the insurers considered that was the standard to be adhered to despite everyone involved in the training considered it over the top. I think it was more that they were worried a solicitor might use it in a claim.
stevedm  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2021 09:18:30(UTC)
stevedm

most stuff like this is as a result of trying to avoid prosecution...considering that NHS staff on bad backs alone stand at around 16% which is actually a huge number...never mind, to my point.  there is no legal requirement to have certified training or indeed medical checks for that matter...PUWER says adequate training so you get to decide...on the training and the frequency..I know of some companies who use 5 years and I kn ow some who use 3...