Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trebor123  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2021 09:03:09(UTC)
trebor123

Hi

Can anyone prove that their Company will be at Net Zero by XXXX the date that their Company have set to be fully at that level?

I cant see it, as we all have mobiles and will no doubt (at some point) have electric cars, both of which require components that are dug up and sorted by children being paid approx. 50p cents (69 cents or whatever the rate is) a day. Our laptops probably too

How can each Company meet its targets if its buying and possibly selling items that have a build (manufacture) or a waste stream with components in that dont reduce their footprint etc

Do you buy from Russia, China, India (2070), Japan, or Iran etc - any transition plans in place, to share from their companies?  

Anyone any ideas?

Do we just retire now and dont work, and dont have any cars, phones etc etc etc 

I find it very contentious, dont wish to cause a stir, I'm only asking a question, the forum is not about being on a "side", it should be debatable and proven surely that your Company/Business can state that it "will achieve" and it "will meet" its targets etc, or ability to move those targets / objectives if its not possible to meet them by XXXX year?

Protestors use all of the above, which I find quite hilarious, and their have been many exposed that they live the life of luxury, hence I feel that this doesn't sit right

Apologise in advance, but I'm only asking a qustion and trying to find any help, that someone out their can help us all to solve this puzzle, and ultimately help our Company / Business to meet its targets / objectives in the short/medium or long term

Thank you to anyone who has the answers        

Kate  
#2 Posted : 04 November 2021 09:24:42(UTC)
Kate

No one has the answers, that's why it hasn't been solved yet.

No one can yet prove that their nation, city, business or anything else will achieve net zero.

What is happening at the moment is that nations, cities and businesses are being encouraged to sign up to net zero as a target, and then work out their detailed plans for how they are going to achieve it.  The idea is that the target will provide the motivation to develop the practices and technologies that will be needed to achieve this.

Net zero is achievable while still using electricity and natural resources.  The "net" part of it means that you subtract the carbon dioxide you extract out of the atmosphere from the carbon dioxide you unavoidably emit.  This needs to subtract out to zero.

There are both natural and technological ways of extracting carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.  The technological ways have not been fully developed to be efficient and scalable.  The idea is that by committing to net zero, investment and innovation in these technologies will be encouraged and they will become fully developed.

Of course it is still important and urgent to reduce the carbon dioxide that is actually emitted, by methods such as eliminating unnecessary fuel usage, using more energy-efficient processes and adopting renewable energy generation.  

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 04/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2021 09:45:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Given HM chancellor is talking of having all major companies provide their "credible" plan by 2023 it is a timely question. The whole carbon calculation is IMHO a farce as it looks at local data points e.g. how much fuel / how many miles our transport achieves. Problem is if you include all the data points then we would each need a "Deep Thought" ergo in answer to the question "Forty-Two".

Instead we will likely see, as with all such edicts, a trickle down: The public spending authority will challenge its bidders who will challenge the main contractors who will challenge their suppliers and sub-contractors who will challenge their... ad infinitum. At the bottom of the pile the overseas gang master will turn off the one electric light in the workshop thereby resolving the issue for a major FTSE listed company whose chairman jets around the world on a daily basis.

Alternativley we will see the emergence of multiple carbon consultancies taking up employee time seeking answers to the questions which feed their specific calculations. Sat in large air conditioned city centre offices to be close to their clients with huge data centres crunching the numbers the output will be what is already known to get the supply chain to make efficiencies in resources without putting up the cost as those yet to be embroiled in the pantomime are continuing to do things cheaper.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 04 November 2021 09:45:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Given HM chancellor is talking of having all major companies provide their "credible" plan by 2023 it is a timely question. The whole carbon calculation is IMHO a farce as it looks at local data points e.g. how much fuel / how many miles our transport achieves. Problem is if you include all the data points then we would each need a "Deep Thought" ergo in answer to the question "Forty-Two".

Instead we will likely see, as with all such edicts, a trickle down: The public spending authority will challenge its bidders who will challenge the main contractors who will challenge their suppliers and sub-contractors who will challenge their... ad infinitum. At the bottom of the pile the overseas gang master will turn off the one electric light in the workshop thereby resolving the issue for a major FTSE listed company whose chairman jets around the world on a daily basis.

Alternativley we will see the emergence of multiple carbon consultancies taking up employee time seeking answers to the questions which feed their specific calculations. Sat in large air conditioned city centre offices to be close to their clients with huge data centres crunching the numbers the output will be what is already known to get the supply chain to make efficiencies in resources without putting up the cost as those yet to be embroiled in the pantomime are continuing to do things cheaper.

trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#5 Posted : 04 November 2021 10:00:20(UTC)
CptBeaky

I think with most companies a target of "NET Zero" as akin to "zero accidents". It is only achievable if you fiddle the figures. I think it would be a lot wiser for companies to just target a continuous reduction through more efficient processes and better education.

Try not to get sidetracked onto such issues as child labour, whilst that also needs to be tackled it is not relevant to carbon emmissions. If well paid adults were carrying out the task it would still have the same impact. As a side note, the enviromental impact of an electric car over its expected life cycle is still a lot less than one with a combustion engine, although still very far from being "carbon neutral", even mor eso in the UK when we have a large proportion of renewable energy in the grid, supplying the power to the cars. 

My company (a medium sized organisation) is trying to reduce our energy consumption by 10% in the next 3 years, and then 5% for every 3 years after that. First will be the easy wins, such as changing lightbulbs for LED ones, replacing old machinery, replacing heaters, insulating etc. It will get harder as we go forward.

The other angle is to educate and encourage your staff to make changes in their work life. Car sharing to get to work (maybe with more flexible hours to encourage this), switch their lunches to plant based food (yes I am vegan, but pretty much every peer reviewed paper agrees on this, animal agriculture produces 18% of calories, uses 83% of farmland and produces 60% of agricultures greenhouse gases, including a lot of methane which is 80 x more potent than CO²). Larger firms could consider generating some of their own power, via solar or window. The knock on for this is that they can reduce costs in the medium to long term.

As a vegan I often get criticised for not being perfect (I use money with tallow in it, some insects/rodents are killed to grow crops, my tyres aren't vegan, nor is my phone etc.). Not being perfect is never a reason to not try. If everyone did their best and made better choices we have a chance. Unfortunatly until the larger companies and countries sort themselves out it is all a bit peeing into the wind. I often say that I am vegan/enviromentalist because I am a coward. When the world finally goes to pot, I can at least sit back and say "well it wasn't my fault!".

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), Kate on 04/11/2021(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 04 November 2021 10:03:30(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The UK has reduced its “carbon footprint”, in the 20 years last  by something like 40%, which sounds good until you realize that most of that has not been achieved by improving our energy efficiency but simply by moving our “dirty” industries out to places like China and India. The total global emissions have actually gone up. As Kate has said, the Net Zero target (which usually includes the  carbon you import as well as your own emissions) has been set to encourage the development of new and improved technologies which may make this a reality. What individuals and companies can is (unless you are something like Shell or BP)  is limited. Essentially we follow the governments lead.  

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC)
stevedm  
#7 Posted : 04 November 2021 10:35:24(UTC)
stevedm

I think as usual there are differeing terms depending where you are in the 'jiurney'  Net Zero is the goal but there are many different way to interpret that - zero greehouse gas emissions for example - so takle away all yoru chillers and air con units...:) .....and when some say Net Zero they are generally dirty industries and they offset...as always the answer isn't a straightforward one...

You need to look at your buisness/ product lifecycle and judge what can be done at each stage...so how companies such as Google can say they are net zero when they run massive datacentres on local power which can range from sustainable power to big dirty coal fired stations...some places they can say that in others they really can't...

To be honest I am getting sick of being told about the climate emergency having said it for the last 30 years and implemented (I admit short /medium term) environmental  ....we need to actually do something rather than glue our hands to the M25..emission dropped during lockdown only for everyone to moan they wanted back to the office...now emissions are back up...mmm I wonder why...

thanks 2 users thanked stevedm for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 04 November 2021 10:50:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: CptBeaky Go to Quoted Post
My company (a medium sized organisation) is trying to reduce our energy consumption by 10% in the next 3 years, and then 5% for every 3 years after that. First will be the easy wins, such as changing lightbulbs for LED ones, replacing old machinery, replacing heaters, insulating etc. It will get harder as we go forward.

Very common ISO 14001 targets until you hit the finance wall where investment can no longer be justified because the competition are cheaper and you have to devise a new set of metrics (collected that T-shirt during my career).

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 04/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), Kate on 04/11/2021(UTC), CptBeaky on 04/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), Kate on 04/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 04 November 2021 10:50:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Very common ISO 14001 targets until you hit the finance wall where investment can no longer be justified because the competition are cheaper and you have to devise a new set of metrics (collected that T-shirt during my career).

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 04/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), Kate on 04/11/2021(UTC), CptBeaky on 04/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), Kate on 04/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 04 November 2021 11:00:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
The UK has reduced its “carbon footprint”... until you realize that most of that has not been achieved by improving our energy efficiency but simply by moving our “dirty” industries out to places like China and India.

It was the necessary investment to meet ever stringent national emissions and safety standards that made overseas cost per unit production attractive to the board and the consumer.

I worked for one employer who closed down UK operations because the site power plant needed £250K investment to tackle chimney stack exhaust particulates.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), Kate on 04/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), Kate on 04/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 04 November 2021 11:00:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

The UK has reduced its “carbon footprint”... until you realize that most of that has not been achieved by improving our energy efficiency but simply by moving our “dirty” industries out to places like China and India.

It was the necessary investment to meet ever stringent national emissions and safety standards that made overseas cost per unit production attractive to the board and the consumer.

I worked for one employer who closed down UK operations because the site power plant needed £250K investment to tackle chimney stack exhaust particulates.

trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), Kate on 04/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC), Kate on 04/11/2021(UTC)
stevedm  
#12 Posted : 04 November 2021 12:02:29(UTC)
stevedm

common tactic...Alcan openly admitted that they moved all or most of the major operation from UK due to the compliance regime...which is the same in France ...but with gaelic shrug..

thanks 2 users thanked stevedm for this useful post.
Ian Bell2  
#13 Posted : 04 November 2021 12:19:51(UTC)
Ian Bell2

One issue that is rarely mentioned in the rush for battery technology - is the most likely increased mining activities to get the required rare earth metals.

Whats the environmental impact of digging up vast areas of land? Deforrestation? Disturbance of habitats? Water/river pollution? etc 

Then the transport cost and smelting/refining environmental impacts of those activities.

I think hydrogen technology is a better way forward - hydrogen via electrolysis of water using wind generated electicity. When hydrogen is burnt only water as a by product/exhaust.

thanks 2 users thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
stevedm on 04/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 04/11/2021(UTC)
stevedm  
#14 Posted : 04 November 2021 12:42:17(UTC)
stevedm

having worked on a number of hydrigen trials including one for London buses I agree musch better...pity we couldn't even get behind it when featured in Qunatum of Solice...guess the large exposions put people off... :)

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
trebor123  
#15 Posted : 04 November 2021 13:37:25(UTC)
trebor123

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Hi indeed - some very good thoughts

long haul - glad I will be retired - set the target to 2030 or beyond (give it a Buzz - lol)

Im sure the others will find a away to be constructive with the figures like most companies hide accident figures now - oh 500 days accident free (what about those ***  ) we dont talk about about those ones ..  quick hide that paper..  you will all have come across Boards etc that only want to see, what they want to see "Green" and not "Red" this month, or next month, or the month after that 

as one person has said in their response (or something similar), move the company or parts of it Abroad (hide it)

just keep moving the goal posts, except you might not get a handout from the government, if the grants ever appear again

I certainly wont be able to afford an electric car nor a heat pump, or any other items required to be ZERO (or likewise) on my pension 

thanks 1 user thanked trebor123 for this useful post.
Kate on 04/11/2021(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#16 Posted : 04 November 2021 13:49:58(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Nothing is perfect even hydrogen.

Currently the bulk of industrial hydrogen is produced as a by product of oil refining. If we were to move of to hydrogen in big way and relay on electrolysis, we would need a massively increase in our generating capacity. A few wind turbines would not help much. Other renewables have their own impacts on the environment, including tidal barrages and hydroelectric schemes. Of course, there is always the nuclear option to consider.

Distributing the hydrogen is another. Pipelines suitable for methane -natural gas will leak a lot of gas. Do we live with this, or do we look at upgrades?

What about vehicles. Pressure tanks are a problem in relation leaks as mentioned. Some car companies have experimented with using capturing the hydrogen on a metallic matrix but the last time I looked a container full of metallic matrix, suitable for a car would   cost more than the car itself. Liquid hydrogen?

None of this is easy and everything you do will have some sort of knock on effect. We could actively encourage more people to work from home. We could ban private cars and encourage some sort of automated car share scheme(most cars spend 80% of there time parked and not actually going any where).

trebor123  
#17 Posted : 04 November 2021 14:01:14(UTC)
trebor123

Roundtuit  
#18 Posted : 04 November 2021 14:41:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

There is of course a whole new set of language and acronyms to process.

When I went to school hydrogen was that gas the chemistry teacher filled a test tube with then lit by taper.

Now there is blue hydrogen from non-renewables and green hydrogen from water cleaving - the site proposed for Stanlow will begin with blue then shift to green. As with our national grid carrying non and renewable electricity how are we supposed to account the carbon from differing processes if it is in the same pipe/tanks?

As to renewable / sustainable practice yesterday saw an article proposing a 2,500 km cable to carry solar and wind generated electricty from Morocco to the UK - mind slips back to Physics copper cables carrying current generating heat & magnetic fields potentially running past islands suffering volcanic activity.

trebor123 on 05/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 05/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#19 Posted : 04 November 2021 14:41:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

There is of course a whole new set of language and acronyms to process.

When I went to school hydrogen was that gas the chemistry teacher filled a test tube with then lit by taper.

Now there is blue hydrogen from non-renewables and green hydrogen from water cleaving - the site proposed for Stanlow will begin with blue then shift to green. As with our national grid carrying non and renewable electricity how are we supposed to account the carbon from differing processes if it is in the same pipe/tanks?

As to renewable / sustainable practice yesterday saw an article proposing a 2,500 km cable to carry solar and wind generated electricty from Morocco to the UK - mind slips back to Physics copper cables carrying current generating heat & magnetic fields potentially running past islands suffering volcanic activity.

Roundtuit  
#20 Posted : 04 November 2021 17:18:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

the enviromental impact of an electric car over its expected life cycle is still a lot less than one with a combustion engine

My smug "green" neighbour is currently eating his version of these words following the admission from Volvo that electric car manufacture has 70% more emissions than a petrol model which take 70,000 miles to off-set.

Technology has a long way to go.

Roundtuit  
#21 Posted : 04 November 2021 17:18:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

the enviromental impact of an electric car over its expected life cycle is still a lot less than one with a combustion engine

My smug "green" neighbour is currently eating his version of these words following the admission from Volvo that electric car manufacture has 70% more emissions than a petrol model which take 70,000 miles to off-set.

Kate  
#22 Posted : 04 November 2021 17:25:00(UTC)
Kate

If only it was only blue hydrogen and green hydrogen.  Recently I heard the term red hydrogen which means hydrogen produced using nuclear power.  And that's not all:

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/energy-explained/hydrogen-colour-spectrum

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
trebor123 on 05/11/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#23 Posted : 04 November 2021 19:43:07(UTC)
peter gotch

It has taken decades to agree on some international like for like standards for reporting health and safety performance - that are far from including real data on occupational ill health.

So, now we can expect a similarly lengthy debate about how to define Net Zero.

The UK is pretending that it is virtuous, but as has been said on this thread much of the virtue comes from having exported our dirtier industries to poorer countries, but not properly recording the real data associated with mostly large organisations heavily reliant on a long and international supply chain.

P

Edited by user 04 November 2021 19:43:57(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
trebor123 on 05/11/2021(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#24 Posted : 05 November 2021 09:12:11(UTC)
CptBeaky

Most cars are used for more than 70,000 miles, hence over their life cycle they are better, depending on the national grid make up. For 95% of countries, even non-efficient electric cars are the better option.

BBC article explaining

Study mentioned in article (page 440 for life cycle data)

A Kurdziel  
#25 Posted : 05 November 2021 09:15:35(UTC)
A Kurdziel

We have acknowledged it is global issue and individual countries can’t really do much about it . Having some sort of international agreement is a start but most countries will look at trying  to manipulate any controls to their advantage; try telling your electorate that we will be good and suffer changes while we let others off the hook. So until there is world government that controls everything we will be struggling. Of course, any world government  would be lead by someone like Putin or  Xi Jinping rather than Jacinda Ardern, which makes think that global warning isn’t that bad…

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 05/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 05/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#26 Posted : 05 November 2021 10:52:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Most cars are used for more than 70,000 miles

2019 figures show the average UK mileage had dropped to 7,400 so as a ball park 10 years to off-set (two years more than the battery guarantee which does not cover natural charge capacity loss).

Factor in cities becoming less car friendly (those with Clean Air Zones for exmple), changes in working practice (who wasn't on an internet meeting in the last two years), company policy activley discouraging employee high mileage.

With a DFT prediction of @ 5,900 miles for 2020 you suddenly find it becomes twelve years to off-set the original production emissions and you will also likley have the replacement battery to add on.

Conveniently forgetting any emissions from the production and installation of charging stations.

Roundtuit  
#27 Posted : 05 November 2021 10:52:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Most cars are used for more than 70,000 miles

2019 figures show the average UK mileage had dropped to 7,400 so as a ball park 10 years to off-set (two years more than the battery guarantee which does not cover natural charge capacity loss).

Factor in cities becoming less car friendly (those with Clean Air Zones for exmple), changes in working practice (who wasn't on an internet meeting in the last two years), company policy activley discouraging employee high mileage.

With a DFT prediction of @ 5,900 miles for 2020 you suddenly find it becomes twelve years to off-set the original production emissions and you will also likley have the replacement battery to add on.

Conveniently forgetting any emissions from the production and installation of charging stations.

trebor123  
#28 Posted : 05 November 2021 11:05:07(UTC)
trebor123

Most cars are used for more than 70,000 miles, hence over their life cycle they are better, depending on the national grid make up. For 95% of countries, even non-efficient electric cars are the better option.

BBC article explaining

Study mentioned in article (page 440 for life cycle data)

Have you access to teh article it wont appear for me?

thanks 

CptBeaky  
#29 Posted : 08 November 2021 08:54:22(UTC)
CptBeaky

Strange it is fine for me. It is on Nature.com so may look for it through there if all else fails. Title is

Net emission reductions from electric cars and heat pumps in 59 world regions over time

CptBeaky  
#30 Posted : 08 November 2021 09:10:42(UTC)
CptBeaky

Factor in cities becoming less car friendly (those with Clean Air Zones for exmple), 

Can't see what a "clean air zone" would have to do with being unable to use an electric car, by definition. So I can't see why that would reduce the average milage for an electric vehicle.

Batteries are already designed to last around 100,000 miles or 12 years. Which at current rates of your average use would be 88800. So they are better already. You may argue less car usage in the future, but it would be disingenuous to then not take into account advancements in design and manufacture during that time. Even more so it would be extremely mis-leading to not take into account the growing renewable energy contribution to the national grid, further reducing the "payback" time at both the charging level and during the manufacturing process.

Are electric vehicles the solution to the climate emergency? No. But they are an integral part of the solution. Obviously there are some serious issues surrounding their adoption, access to charging points, lack of power to move large loads, problems with recycling batteries etc., but we must stop burning fossil fuels ASAP. 

A Kurdziel  
#31 Posted : 08 November 2021 09:23:20(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Ok have had the conference and  have been demonstrations demanding immediate radical action to make the world totally sustainable for everyone(probably by harnessing the power of unicorns) but now its time to come up with something SMART- ie Specific – tackles the problem as opposed to looking good on social media; is Measurable – there is an outcome that be measured as opposed to makes us feel virtuous; Assignable – somebody eg a individual, an agency, as opposed to saying “we all play a part”; Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, as opposed to saying “make all of the nasty fossil fuels disappear overnight”; Time-related – don’t just let it drag on fix a date for the specified outcomes and be willing to name those that don’t deliver, who ever they are.

But there is fly in the ointment. Kantar Public, a market research company has done a global  survey which is referred to in this Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/07/few-willing-to-change-lifestyle-climate-survey

Essentially the survey says that most people believe that climate change is real apart from small proportion of  deniers like Owen Paterson(who he?)  but they don’t think that they can do more without sacrificing their life-style and so they think it’s someone else’s problem. This is what is known in politics as a “hard-sell”. Just think how long it took us to make driving belts compulsory or control tobacco; here we are talking about a massive social change which will not really benefit the people alive today but might help their children and their children’s children.

CptBeaky on 08/11/2021(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#32 Posted : 08 November 2021 09:39:54(UTC)
CptBeaky

It doesn't help that no government is willing to tell people what sacrifices need to be made, so we all just continue as normal. Goverments are too concerned with staying in power than revealing unpleasant truths. Just today there was an interview with a scientist on BBC radio 5 live and he was saying that we basically need to stop air travel. The exhaust is fed straight into the upper atmosphere causing the damage it doesn to be magnified. Currently air fuel is not taxed, if it were taxed at the same level as petrol/diesel than flying would be 4-5x more expensive.

Everyone then calls in to say that this will cost jobs, mean we won't be able to visit love ones etc. Some even questioned whether he had taken into account electric planes, bio-fuels etc. (which he obviosuly has, it is his job!). People just don't seem to understand that we need to change the way we live all the way down. We have to make sacrifices, or there won't be anything left to sacrifice. We have to re-imagine how we want economies to work and how we are to consume in the future. We can't wait for governments and companies to do this for us, because they are run by people that won't be around to see the damage they have done.

Yes I know I always get back to veganism. But just choosing a different option on the menu will have a huge impact. Choose to holiday at home. Choose to walk where you can. Capitalism is market driven. If the market for damaging products isn't there, then the market will stop. Vote for parties that promise greener policies, even if it hurts the economy. Remember the problem is not over-population, it over consumption. We have the farmland and resources to feed the world several time over, but we choose to use them in a way that is doomed to fail.

It always amazes me how willing we are to follow the science, until it challenges our own beliefs and life style. 5 years ago I made the conscious desision to swallow my pride, and stop swallowing meat, eggs and dairy. Remember, every disaster film starts with an expert telling warning everyone about impending doom, and they are always ignored. We have already probably run out of time, but we should at least be able to say we tried.

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
trebor123 on 08/11/2021(UTC), MikeKelly on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#33 Posted : 08 November 2021 09:51:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

Can't see what a "clean air zone" would have to do with being unable to use an electric car, by definition.

In discussing average driver annual mileage I was referring to all drivers, not just electric, therefore a CAZ will have an impact on the overall average driven

CptBeaky on 08/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 08/11/2021(UTC), CptBeaky on 08/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#34 Posted : 08 November 2021 09:51:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

Can't see what a "clean air zone" would have to do with being unable to use an electric car, by definition.

In discussing average driver annual mileage I was referring to all drivers, not just electric, therefore a CAZ will have an impact on the overall average driven

CptBeaky on 08/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 08/11/2021(UTC), CptBeaky on 08/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#35 Posted : 08 November 2021 10:12:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

People just don't seem to understand that we need to change the way we live all the way down. We have to make sacrifices, or there won't be anything left to sacrifice.

As per the article AK referenced people do accept a need for change but how do you convince everyone to do their bit when 1% of the worlds population contribute more to global warming than the poorest half of humanity?

When you look at the aspirational lives influencers and supposed celebrities promote through their social media jetting all over the globe please explain why any mere mortal should cut down?

trebor123 on 08/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#36 Posted : 08 November 2021 10:12:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

People just don't seem to understand that we need to change the way we live all the way down. We have to make sacrifices, or there won't be anything left to sacrifice.

As per the article AK referenced people do accept a need for change but how do you convince everyone to do their bit when 1% of the worlds population contribute more to global warming than the poorest half of humanity?

When you look at the aspirational lives influencers and supposed celebrities promote through their social media jetting all over the globe please explain why any mere mortal should cut down?

trebor123 on 08/11/2021(UTC), trebor123 on 08/11/2021(UTC)
trebor123  
#37 Posted : 08 November 2021 11:02:48(UTC)
trebor123

Exactly - not just celebrities though ! World Governments, CEOs, Protestors etc etc and more 

Does it not just make a laughing stock of the whole affair?

thanks 1 user thanked trebor123 for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 08/11/2021(UTC)
trebor123  
#38 Posted : 08 November 2021 11:12:06(UTC)
trebor123

Ok have had the conference and  have been demonstrations demanding immediate radical action to make the world totally sustainable for everyone(probably by harnessing the power of unicorns) but now its time to come up with something SMART- ie Specific – tackles the problem as opposed to looking good on social media; is Measurable – there is an outcome that be measured as opposed to makes us feel virtuous; Assignable – somebody eg a individual, an agency, as opposed to saying “we all play a part”; Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, as opposed to saying “make all of the nasty fossil fuels disappear overnight”; Time-related – don’t just let it drag on fix a date for the specified outcomes and be willing to name those that don’t deliver, who ever they are.

But there is fly in the ointment. Kantar Public, a market research company has done a global  survey which is referred to in this Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/07/few-willing-to-change-lifestyle-climate-survey

Essentially the survey says that most people believe that climate change is real apart from small proportion of  deniers like Owen Paterson(who he?)  but they don’t think that they can do more without sacrificing their life-style and so they think it’s someone else’s problem. This is what is known in politics as a “hard-sell”. Just think how long it took us to make driving belts compulsory or control tobacco; here we are talking about a massive social change which will not really benefit the people alive today but might help their children and their children’s children.

unfortunately you cant take anything serious from the Guardian or probably majority of fictitious MSM, they have interviewed who?

All lefties?  All greens ?

not exactly a cross section of the community?

I have never been approached, emailed, sent letters etc from any company or press asking my views etc?

I dont know anyone in my family of friends (many) that have had their views questioned either?

Who are "these" people who keep being asked (alledegly) "their views"?

Proabaly serial protesters/activists that are on fast dial to the likes of the Guardian and other MSM  

trebor123  
#39 Posted : 08 November 2021 11:20:44(UTC)
trebor123

Factor in cities becoming less car friendly (those with Clean Air Zones for exmple), 

Can't see what a "clean air zone" would have to do with being unable to use an electric car, by definition. So I can't see why that would reduce the average milage for an electric vehicle.

Batteries are already designed to last around 100,000 miles or 12 years. Which at current rates of your average use would be 88800. So they are better already. You may argue less car usage in the future, but it would be disingenuous to then not take into account advancements in design and manufacture during that time. Even more so it would be extremely mis-leading to not take into account the growing renewable energy contribution to the national grid, further reducing the "payback" time at both the charging level and during the manufacturing process.

Are electric vehicles the solution to the climate emergency? No. But they are an integral part of the solution. Obviously there are some serious issues surrounding their adoption, access to charging points, lack of power to move large loads, problems with recycling batteries etc., but we must stop burning fossil fuels ASAP. 

Interesting

https://www.inentertainment.co.uk/volvo-says-electric-car-making-emissions-are-70-higher-than-petrol/

Kate  
#40 Posted : 08 November 2021 11:21:16(UTC)
Kate

Surveys are done of samples not of the whole population, so not having been invited to take part in a survey shouldn't be surprising, shouldn't be taken personally, and doesn't mean anything.

peter gotch  
#41 Posted : 08 November 2021 11:27:40(UTC)
peter gotch

Trebor - I will hold my hands up and admit to being a serial reader of the Guardian since I was a student!

But, I do get asked to do surveys, including as to my attitudes to various issues, including climate change. As example, my electricity supplier is ScottishPower. It has a side show called TalkPower who do surveys.

P

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 08/11/2021(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#42 Posted : 08 November 2021 11:35:27(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I will say this about surveys: most are designed by statisticians who understand all the issues of sampling and bias. They are very careful to describe the limitations of any survey and what the likely errors are going to be. Of course the qualified results are then passed on to the customers who will then twist and turn it in what ever way they to give the result they want to hear (or in the case of Owen Paterson blame the badgers for moving the goal posts!). Surveys are fine; it’s what people make of them that is the killer.

CptBeaky  
#43 Posted : 08 November 2021 12:04:20(UTC)
CptBeaky

That is the graph from the article you linked. Electric cars are more damaging initially, but less so over their entire life span, with the greener the energy in the national grid, the better the pay back, which is exactly what I have been saying. Even with the current poor mix it is still 18% more efficient, by Volvo's own numbers. Don't just look at headlines, look at the data.

Also that is based on "global electricity mix" at which the payback is 68,400 miles. With the increase of renewables/nuclear into the national grid over the coming years that will only improve. If we get to the EU-28 targets (although I appreciate that we are not obliged to) it woud reduce the payback to 43,500 miles.

Roundtuit  
#44 Posted : 08 November 2021 12:53:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

payback or off-setting emissions?

When you get in to payback we enter a whole different set of calculations - cost of car (now actually going up due to increased cost of producing batteries), cost of electricity (massivley gone up due to global energy market), effects of depreciation (viable battery life / outdated charging technology) along with that renewable electricty tarrif attracting a premium price.

Whilst there may be a Benefit In Kind tax break company car drivers often forget that HM gov advisory rate for electric vehicles is stuck at a flat rate of 4p per mile since 2018 meaning BEV drivers are likely to be funding business travel (other advisory rates get adjusted quarterly) eating in to any personal tax saving.

Roundtuit  
#45 Posted : 08 November 2021 12:53:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

When you get in to payback we enter a whole different set of calculations - cost of car (now actually going up due to increased cost of producing batteries), cost of electricity (massivley gone up due to global energy market), effects of depreciation (viable battery life / outdated charging technology) along with that renewable electricty tarrif attracting a premium price.

Whilst there may be a Benefit In Kind tax break company car drivers often forget that HM gov advisory rate for electric vehicles is stuck at a flat rate of 4p per mile since 2018 meaning BEV drivers are likely to be funding business travel (other advisory rates get adjusted quarterly) eating in to any personal tax saving.

peter gotch  
#46 Posted : 08 November 2021 13:04:47(UTC)
peter gotch

Roundtuit - premium price for renewable electricity?

Possibly in England which has some catching up to do. In Scotland almost all electricity is from renewables and with various options to do more, store energy and export more electricity.

But, as yet the tax breaks offered to Oil and Gas have not been offered to things like "spade ready" pumped storage schemes.

CptBeaky  
#47 Posted : 08 November 2021 13:04:57(UTC)
CptBeaky

Paying back the additional emissions that were created during the manufacturing process. I concur I should have used "off-setting", but the point still stands.

Roundtuit  
#48 Posted : 08 November 2021 13:17:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post
premium price for renewable electricity? Possibly in England

Yes Peter another one of those "south of the border" anomalies

peter gotch on 08/11/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#49 Posted : 08 November 2021 13:17:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post
premium price for renewable electricity? Possibly in England

Yes Peter another one of those "south of the border" anomalies

peter gotch on 08/11/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 08/11/2021(UTC)