Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steve_shirlaw  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2021 11:32:18(UTC)
steve_shirlaw

Hi, I was looking to get an understanding of what best practices are out there in relation to ensuring vibration magnitude data in relation to hand arm vibration is representative of use. My current employer is utilising the vibration magnitude data specified in the manufacturer's instructions. However, I am conscious that the HSE warn against solely relying on manufacturer's instructions. I was wondering if anyone is testing their tools and what their methodology is for testing tools including frequency. 

We have an open Management of Change on this to support with transition to a new methodology.

Thank you

Gerry Knowles  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2021 12:00:06(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

HI Steve, 

If you PM me I will explain what we do for our customers, I dont want to do it on the general site, as it may be seen as advertising. 

riskybizz  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2021 10:24:45(UTC)
riskybizz

Measuring Hav's can be quite challenging, ie maybe after using the HSE calculator and producing your EAV/ELV how will the operators really know when these levels have been reached?

I have previously used HAVI-Meters which are really only timers and do not measure vibration.

We have just moved to the Tri-axial accelerometer  method which actually measure "Sensed vibration" and comprehensive results can be downloaded and stored for future reference.

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 25 November 2021 10:36:18(UTC)
HSSnail

we use quit a bit of hand held machinery in remote locations - where there is little alternative. Do the usual stuff in terms of equipment selection to get lowest exposure. One of my team is trained in using our Tri- axil acceleromiter and we have a programme of checking equipment actualy in operation. As you have aluded to in your post real world measurements are often very different from manufactures quote - espscially as equipment ages.

We also have a selection of equipment (but not every piece by any means) tagged with Hav meters to get an idea of how long people are actualy using the equipment. We found trying to get people to estimate use gave us figurs wildy out both ways (i.e. not enough use or more exposre than was actualy happening)