Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JWHITEHEAD  
#1 Posted : 25 November 2021 08:57:39(UTC)
JWHITEHEAD

Hi, do any of you by any chance have a method statement (safe system of work) for a forklift working platform (man riding cage) that you wouldn't mind sharing with me? It would be greatly appreciated.

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 25 November 2021 09:09:09(UTC)
HSSnail

sorry J but guidance is that man riding cages should only be used in "exceptional circumstances, occasional use " so without undertsanding the task you are performing its difficult to answer this.

Appoligies if it sounds like im trying to teach you to suck eggs, but do you have a copy of https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/pm28.pdf

Working platforms (non-integrated) on forklift trucks guidance Note PM28 (Fourth edition)

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2021 17:30:21(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi JW - on top of what Brian has already said you also need to consider whether this is a purpose built machine such as an order picker and whether the task requires someone to exit the cage, e.g. to access racking which throws lots of extra issues into the mix.

It's probably unlikely that you will get a method statement from someone else on these Forums which fits your circumstances, given the number of possible variables.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2021 07:46:17(UTC)
Kate

I have previously prepared a RAMS for this.  It reads in full "Don't even think about buying that."

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
RVThompson on 26/11/2021(UTC)
chris42  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2021 08:31:35(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

I have previously prepared a RAMS for this.  It reads in full "Don't even think about buying that."

Me too the exact same phrase, except I didn’t actually write it down. I just walked past someone with one on their computer screen with a price next to it.

Their argument went as far as “But!!”

To which my response was “don’t care, do it properly.”

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
RVThompson on 26/11/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2021 13:20:35(UTC)
peter gotch

I wouldn't be quite as dismissive.

There is a place for infrequent use of a man-riding cage on a fork truck.

But, first you should be considering what other options are available.

...and the argument for doing this is probably much less persuasive than it would have been 30 years ago, as a result of various technological innovations.....which is perhaps one of the reasons why PM28 has not been updated - less people likely to need to read it.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Jay.NewbyG on 15/12/2021(UTC)
Holliday42333  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2021 13:28:10(UTC)
Holliday42333

Along with the other answers above, with which I agree, before you start looking at risk assessments I would contact your FLT Inspector and request a 6 monthly Loler inspection rather than 12 as you now want the FLT to be used with a working platform.

You may well find that they refuse to complete the inspection for this purpose (particularly if tied in with your insurer) and direct ou towards a MEWP or other access solution.

chris42  
#8 Posted : 26 November 2021 14:22:59(UTC)
chris42

The current as of 8th July 2021 HSE web page states.

The use of lifting equipment which has not been specifically designed for lifting people should only occur in exceptional circumstances (eg for rescue purposes).

But if you are buying this it is therefor in advance of a perceived emergency /exceptional circumstance, and they suggest rescue. These things are not particularly designed to get into or out of at height. Sorry but they have no place in the world IMHO. If you can perceive a particular emergency then you should be looking at more robust emergency plans

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 26 November 2021 16:05:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

Our insurers quite happily continue to certify our man cage - the only report to date has been to ensure that hook-on points were clearly identfied and the cage contained instruction to clip on.

Whilst MEWP are better suited to matters such as changing a blown bulb in a factory hiring them to a site is a considerable logistical effort for what can often be a couple of minutes of actual use.

Given the alternative of an employee carrying tubes up and down a tall ladder..

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 26 November 2021 16:05:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

Our insurers quite happily continue to certify our man cage - the only report to date has been to ensure that hook-on points were clearly identfied and the cage contained instruction to clip on.

Whilst MEWP are better suited to matters such as changing a blown bulb in a factory hiring them to a site is a considerable logistical effort for what can often be a couple of minutes of actual use.

Given the alternative of an employee carrying tubes up and down a tall ladder..

CptBeaky  
#11 Posted : 29 November 2021 08:50:20(UTC)
CptBeaky

We have a non-intergrated forklift cage, which our insurers are also ok with. It has been used in the past to change high bay lights that our MEWP can't reach (normally ones above machines) and fixing a stuck roller door. In both cases the single man up/down platform wouldn't have been able to reach the area safely. They would have had to lean out of the platform to reach the light, and the roller door is on a slope.

When we have scheduled maintenance we hire equipment in, but in both circumstances it was an emergency. If anybody can think of a safer reasonably practicable way for a relatively small business to carry out these one off situations than I would love to get rid of the cage. but until I hear a safer option that is also cost effective and timely then I have no choice but to keep using it.

To answer the OP, we don't have RAMS, as this suggests forethought. When we use the cage it is because we have exhausted other avenues. We do have a SSOW which includes the usual things (i.e. the guidance on the HSE) and also includes the circumstances for which it is permissable to use the cage (unplanned maintenance that the single man mewp is not sufficient). We then do a dynamic, recorded risk assessment for the work we are to carry out, including a rescue plan.