Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mersey  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2022 15:21:40(UTC)
Mersey

Just had rather a heated with discusion with my peers when reviewing the company work equipment procedure.

I've always been of the opinion that the employer provides the work equipment, but the counter argument has been put forward that the employers can bring their own work equipment in provided that they follow the company procedure (servicing , CE marked , PAT testing etc...)

I can't find any legislation which states that employees can't bring their own work equipment in.

Thoughts welcome

chris42  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2022 15:48:00(UTC)
chris42

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg291.pdf

Page 1, para 3

Similarly, if you allow employees to provide their own equipment then it will also be covered by PUWER and you will need to make sure it complies.

Of course there are all the other things you need to consider noise, vibration etc as employees may not pick the best options.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Mersey on 05/01/2022(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2022 15:49:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

If you look at the ACop associated with PUWER it does mention workers bringing in their own tools etc to work. The regs talk about “providing work equipment” rather than “supplying” so as to include this possibility. As you have said if an employer permits employees to bring their own tools, they must make sure that they comply with all of the legal requirements. Some employers(most?) are uncomfortable with this and insist that employees only use company supplied equipment  but that is a matter  of company policy not law.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Mersey on 05/01/2022(UTC), chris42 on 05/01/2022(UTC)
Mersey  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2022 15:52:17(UTC)
Mersey

Looks like I'll need to go back with my tail between my legs :( 

I wonder if insurance has anything to say about these things

Thanks for the response chaps

chris42  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2022 15:57:06(UTC)
chris42

Never admit you are wrong, more that you have found a way from your tireless searching of all things H&S that implies that you/they could justify doing what they want in this instance :0)

Edited by user 05 January 2022 15:57:53(UTC)  | Reason: added you

thanks 3 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Mersey on 05/01/2022(UTC), CptBeaky on 06/01/2022(UTC), A Kurdziel on 06/01/2022(UTC)
achrn  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2022 15:59:39(UTC)
achrn

We permit it, but it does rather depend on what the 'work equipment' is - in our case it's calculators, pens, pencils, maybe digital camera. For that kind of stuff it's difficult to see either why or how you'd prohibit it.  It would be a bit different if the work equipment was hundereds of tonnes of machinery.

For some things there needs to be standards - probably not for pencils, but anything that has a PPE function (for example) will need to meet standards. We allow people to wear their own boots provided they meet the  documented standards.  (Before anyone starts I would like to highlight that "allow" does not mean "require" and all staff are offered free-issue safety boots if their role requires them.) 

Any actual hazardous machinery, you'd need to make sure it was up to standard.  I think PUWER requires that if equipment is used for the employer's business then the employer needs to ensure it's suitable and safe, regardless of who owns it.  However, I can';t think of anything that requires teh employer to own all the equipment used for tehir business (and there are obvious cases where that's not teh norm - as I allude to above, engineers' calculators, but also chefs' knives, and I'm sure there are more).

We do let people provide their own furniture (we have a few members of staff who have brought their own chairs to the office) but again it needs to be of at least an equivalent standard to the company equipment.

There are a few things we do not permit - for example, connection to the company internal netwroks, either  directly or via VPN, is only permitted from company-supplied hardware, so you can't use your own computer.

We do allow people to use their own mobile phone, but they need to grant the company IT department full rights on it, so the choice is use the compnay one, or let  the company IT department have free reign in your personal one.  Vanishingly few people take up the offer to grant full access rights to their personal phone to our IT department, for some reason.

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
Mersey on 05/01/2022(UTC)
Kate  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2022 17:44:52(UTC)
Kate

It's quite common for tradespeople to be allowed  / expected to provide their own hand tools, and even power tools.

Likewise drivers' own vehicles being used either for deliveries and the like or for business travel - vehicles used on business of course being work equipment.

Difficult to manage, and mean of the employer  - but common.

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
Mersey on 05/01/2022(UTC), HSSnail on 06/01/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#8 Posted : 06 January 2022 08:50:50(UTC)
HSSnail

Agree with Kate. From my time as an inspector If you look at some of the top end (by price) cars its more common for the technitions to have their own set of tools than for the employer to provide them. However no matter who provides teh tools thge employer is still resposible for them under PUWER - mad i know but then who said the law was alawys easy.