Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mr Curious  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2022 09:42:14(UTC)
Mr Curious

Good morning all and Happy New Year!

I have been looking for companies and/or professionals and colleagues that create final product MSDS. I am interested in understanding how this process is done as I am actually interested in testing, i.e. sending a sample to that company to perform appropriate testing that can be added on a MSDS. Not sure if companies that use software only feed the ingredients MSDS's to a platform (maybe along with concentration and other properties) and then create a final product MSDS automatically. 

I would appreciate any information you might have on the topic. I could not  find companies that do actual testing (flash point, ignition point etc as the final product contains fines/powdered material) while searching on Google which seemed odd.  

Thank you in advance

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2022 10:03:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

Most SDS are now created by authoring software that utilises substance information (e.g. available on the ECHA database) and classifications along with their respective concentrations to create a classification report for the mixture from which a Safety Data Sheet is derived.

With regards to specific physical characteristics of the "product" this is generally not something offered by the SDS software company and would be reliant upon either in-house testing or an external laboratory.

Companies such as SGS or Intertek (others are available) can provide physical analysis as they are involved with product standards conformity testing.

Underwriters Laboratories (GHS Pro - Safeware Quasar), Verisk, Hazmix, Lycos (Athena), WERCS, 3E (MSDgen) amongst others provide authoring packages - as pricing, complexity and degree of automation or manual involvement vary by supplier.

Another route to information and training in this topic would be the Chemical Hazards Communication Society https://chcs.org.uk/

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
RVThompson on 13/01/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 13/01/2022(UTC), Mr Curious on 13/01/2022(UTC), RVThompson on 13/01/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 13/01/2022(UTC), Mr Curious on 13/01/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2022 10:03:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

Most SDS are now created by authoring software that utilises substance information (e.g. available on the ECHA database) and classifications along with their respective concentrations to create a classification report for the mixture from which a Safety Data Sheet is derived.

With regards to specific physical characteristics of the "product" this is generally not something offered by the SDS software company and would be reliant upon either in-house testing or an external laboratory.

Companies such as SGS or Intertek (others are available) can provide physical analysis as they are involved with product standards conformity testing.

Underwriters Laboratories (GHS Pro - Safeware Quasar), Verisk, Hazmix, Lycos (Athena), WERCS, 3E (MSDgen) amongst others provide authoring packages - as pricing, complexity and degree of automation or manual involvement vary by supplier.

Another route to information and training in this topic would be the Chemical Hazards Communication Society https://chcs.org.uk/

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
RVThompson on 13/01/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 13/01/2022(UTC), Mr Curious on 13/01/2022(UTC), RVThompson on 13/01/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 13/01/2022(UTC), Mr Curious on 13/01/2022(UTC)