Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Roz  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2022 13:47:45(UTC)
Roz

I have not been active on this forum for sometime now but thought this was worth a go. Due to a poor career choice which resulted in me being aware from an actual role within H&S since 2016, I am concerned that my time away has cemented the end of my days in H&S.  I am however a H&S champion representing my team in my current role for a Local Authority.  I have studied NEBOSH exams in 2002/2002 and hold General, Construction and Diploma Part 1.

My connundrum is whether I have been away from an actual role for too long for it to be worth while trying to continue my CPD?  I am not able to attend IOSH meetings during the day due to my full time support role and find that the branch meetings in Southampton are too far at the end of the day. I am feeling rusty in the H&S field but have been trying to remain opptomistic in the fact a role would turn up.

I believe that my option would be to step away from H&S or to see if someone may be able to mentor me / find ways to re-ignite the spark/find opportunities that started my 20 year career in H&S.

Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully appreciated.

pseudonym  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2022 15:25:50(UTC)
pseudonym

Roz, not everyone's career runs smoothly or as planned / hoped for. Sometimes you need to pay the bills more than you need to 'plan your career' so I wouldn't worry too  much about discontinuous H&S experience - I'm sure that you can find something positive to say about the non-H&S aspects of your CV.

As for CPD and keeping up to date - you could use these forums for CPD, reading, digesting and reflecting upon IOSH Magazine (or other periodicals), it isn't all about attending courses and formal training. You may be a bit rusty, but you will start to remember much of what you have studied as you begin to apply yourself to your role as an H&S Champion - don't forget there is loads of guidance on the HSE website, and nobody ever lost a job by following HSE guidance :). A big part of being in H&S is knowing where to find information, not necessarily knowing it all yourself. 

Don't be too harsh on yourself and try to start developing some expertise in the H&S ramifications of your role - see what other Local Authorities do in similar circumstances, build on what you can do and not what you can't. All the best! P

thanks 5 users thanked pseudonym for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 21/03/2022(UTC), Kate on 21/03/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 22/03/2022(UTC), JohnW on 29/03/2022(UTC), Monika R on 09/05/2022(UTC)
Kate  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2022 19:39:50(UTC)
Kate

And don't forget that 'transferable skills' are important to CPD.  You are almost certainly developing skills outside of H&S that will also be applicable inside H&S once you return.

Good luck.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
peter gotch on 22/03/2022(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2022 11:45:13(UTC)
peter gotch

Roz - to add to what Pseudonym and Kate have written, I suggest that you ARE in an H&S role.

You are an H&S "Champion", but even if you didn't have that title, any competent organisation makes managing H&S an integral part of the line management function from top to bottom.

The long term ambition of any full time inhouse H&S Adviser should be make themselves redundant. Never happens as there is always something else to tackle.

However, if all the postholders in an organisation are fully competent, can do whatever research is appropriate etc, then no need for some dedicated H&S bod.

So, based on the assumption that you have continued your IOSH Membership (but NOT dependent on that as "CPD" applies to whatever career option, whether done formally or not), your CPD is about whatever you do to improve your understanding of how to do your job better, AND to set yourself up for some future opportunity.

AND, if you decide to consider moving into some role which is much more "H&S", then as Kate says your CPD for your current role is associated with transferable skills etc.

P

Roz  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2022 19:39:38(UTC)
Roz

Just a note to thank you for your replies.  I really appreciate your support and encouragement.  

I have taken on your comments and have renewed my membership.  I'm now looking at whether there are any mentors or places that needs some H&S assistance, possibly volunteering, to boost my experience I'm aware that this will need to be managed alongside my full time position.

So if there are any people reading this who think there are some H&S tasks they would like some assistance with which would allow me to keep my skills up to date, please let me know.

Regards.

thanks 2 users thanked Roz for this useful post.
Kate on 05/04/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 09/05/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 09 May 2022 07:42:08(UTC)
HSSnail

Roz

Have you looked at becomeing a school governor? I was vice chair at my local school for a number of years (stayed as a community governor even after my son left!) before i got my 1st full time H&S job.  They often welcome people with a H&S background to assist them, and depending on the LA can offer some good training. But dont forget CPD is not just about training - even helping them develope RS etc can count.

peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 09 May 2022 10:29:27(UTC)
peter gotch

Thanks Alan - a shame that exactly the sort of thread that this Forum is supposed to cater for has been derailed by an advert from some bot or other 'bad actor'.

P

lorna  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2022 11:07:00(UTC)
lorna

There was a time in my career where I was really struggling with CPD. I phoned the Membership Team and was given a lot of support, even told not to worry about it at that time (I had much bigger things going on in my life).  If you're still worried, it might be a good idea to make that phone call.

As a comparison, the other professional body I belonged to at the time told me I would have to leave if I couldn't do all the hours of CPD required - I told them (fairly politely) where to go....