Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
knotty  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2022 09:36:05(UTC)
knotty

I'd like to get a feel for how other sites manage access/egress using vertical fixed ladders.

Fall arrest equipment, rescue team and permit is used for accessing roofs and high structures.

However, for fixed ladders between 2.5 - 3m , this seems to be a grey area on "how far to go".

These are old-style hooped ladders, mostly used for occasional maintenance access.

Can else with experience of a similar vintage site give me a feel for how you manage these in your setting?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2022 12:24:08(UTC)
Roundtuit

Other than having them on the annual ladder inspection, and with access restricted to authorised users by padlocked blanking plate in external locations, there is no restraint / arrest equipment or permits for climbing.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 22 April 2022 12:24:08(UTC)
Roundtuit

Other than having them on the annual ladder inspection, and with access restricted to authorised users by padlocked blanking plate in external locations, there is no restraint / arrest equipment or permits for climbing.

knotty  
#4 Posted : 22 April 2022 12:29:35(UTC)
knotty

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Thanks RT

How are users "authorised" and deemed competent?

HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 22 April 2022 12:48:05(UTC)
HSSnail

HSE has just updated their ladder guidance

Safe use of ladders and stepladders: How and when to use a ladder at work - HSE

Does not cover fixed ladders specificaly but does say

"Know how to use a ladder safely

To use a ladder, you must be competent or, if you are being trained, you should be working under the supervision of a competent person.

Competence can be demonstrated through a combination of training, practical and theoretical knowledge, and experience.

Training should be appropriate for the task, and this includes knowing:

• how to assess the risks of using a ladder for a particular task
  • when it is right to use a ladder (and when it is not)
  • which type of ladder to use and how to use it"

Have to say i have always found the advice on training for ladder use a little vauge but the old 3 points of contact consiatntly comes up. Dont know if any of that helps

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 22 April 2022 12:54:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

The padlocked ladders have their key retained by the engineering management team - they issue it to internal staff subject to internal permit & RA for WAH or external contractors subject to permit & agreed RAMS (typically roof maintenance activity).

The internal ladders are occassional access by plant operators (manual shut-off valves) which lead to a small standing platform c/w hand rails. Being fixed to the wall vertical access there is little in the way of training to demonstrate "competence" so it is included as three line items in the task Tool Box Talk - report any visual defects / Do Not Use, 3 points of contact and do not reach out/over/beyond the platform.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
knotty on 22/04/2022(UTC), knotty on 22/04/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 22 April 2022 12:54:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

The padlocked ladders have their key retained by the engineering management team - they issue it to internal staff subject to internal permit & RA for WAH or external contractors subject to permit & agreed RAMS (typically roof maintenance activity).

The internal ladders are occassional access by plant operators (manual shut-off valves) which lead to a small standing platform c/w hand rails. Being fixed to the wall vertical access there is little in the way of training to demonstrate "competence" so it is included as three line items in the task Tool Box Talk - report any visual defects / Do Not Use, 3 points of contact and do not reach out/over/beyond the platform.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
knotty on 22/04/2022(UTC), knotty on 22/04/2022(UTC)
Nerdy1  
#8 Posted : 03 May 2022 10:10:40(UTC)
Nerdy1

I went through this subject a few years ago so I will give you a summary of what I found and what we now do.

If you have hooped ladders you should check the gaps in the hoops are small enough to prevent a head entering the hoop as it is possible to be decapitated in a fall. The recommendation is for fall arrest, however. you should not fit a fall arrest system onto a hooped ladder and it is not recommended to remove hoops from an already installed ladder..... clear as mud!!

The main thing I took away from my research was that staging of the ladders at a maximum of 3 metres was considered the best practice. We have gone through the process of replacing all of our fixed ladders with staged access that has a platform every 3 metres. The ladders are also locked to prevent unauthorised access.

thanks 1 user thanked Nerdy1 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 03/05/2022(UTC)
peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 03 May 2022 14:11:28(UTC)
peter gotch

Nerdy, I think one of the reasons that the guidance is "clear as mud" is that some of the research findings are somewhat contrary.

However, I do think each case needs to be considered on merit. I remember climbing 90m up a near vertical ladder with both hoops and an arrest system and I was grateful for both. Providing landings would have been utterly impractical without a major re-engineering of a landmark structure whose aesthetics would have suffered as a result.

Yesterday I was reading about "model byelaws" for buildings in England in the 19th Century - in the days before there were nationally applicable Building Standards regulations. So these were "models" to inform those setting the rules in Boroughs around the land.

One of the big issues was whether the maximum slope of a roof  should be 75 degrees or perhaps 83 degrees.  They eventually settled on 47 degrees (which I guess meant 45 but with a bit of give for old fashioned methods of surveying) on warehouses and 75 for everything else except for steeples. 

Now, if one looks at this in a remote "safety" bubble, either 75 or 83 seems extremely dangerous, but what would our skylines look like if all roofs had reduced slopes? 75 is about the slope on the mansard roofs to front and rear of the 1880 building in which I live.

OSH professionals sometimes tend to come up with overprescriptive solutions, then find that there are reasons why their solutions don't work!