Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kloppite  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2022 08:48:23(UTC)
Kloppite

Good Morning 

We have a project to start internally in a large empty food factory room. This will require the use of excavation plant. Can any practitioners with experience of this type of project give me some guidance on how to best go about this and how to implement the use of diesel particulate filters ?

I have been informed that the plant involved does not have DPFs

Would large extraction fans suffice ?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 26 April 2022 11:08:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

DPF's have nothing to do with using plant indoors.

Your issue with ICE equipment is the combustion exhaust which to prevent significant build up in the work area is ideally tackled using extraction hosing and fans to an external exit point (and not the door used for access/egress where it can be blown back inside).

A "big fan" in the area will merely circulate whatever is present - your task, like an MOT garage measuring emissions, requires extraction.

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Curious1 on 26/04/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 26/04/2022(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/04/2022(UTC), Curious1 on 26/04/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 26/04/2022(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/04/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2022 11:08:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

DPF's have nothing to do with using plant indoors.

Your issue with ICE equipment is the combustion exhaust which to prevent significant build up in the work area is ideally tackled using extraction hosing and fans to an external exit point (and not the door used for access/egress where it can be blown back inside).

A "big fan" in the area will merely circulate whatever is present - your task, like an MOT garage measuring emissions, requires extraction.

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Curious1 on 26/04/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 26/04/2022(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/04/2022(UTC), Curious1 on 26/04/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 26/04/2022(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/04/2022(UTC)
stevedm  
#4 Posted : 27 April 2022 21:57:26(UTC)
stevedm

GMP means you will require the addition of a DPF in the exhaust line in addition to the existing design...people used to call them soot traps years ago..when my hair was darker than it is now...I am not sure why they wouldn't just fully declassify the room and then ensure a solid cleaning regime after...but I guess they are thinking prevention is easier...

SteveL  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2022 09:11:54(UTC)
SteveL

When we have had to work within buildings using excavators we have used HD90 or M60 filters try looking for ravex or simular.