Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Self and Hasty  
#1 Posted : 04 May 2022 13:17:26(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Hi all,

Just started with a new client and found in accident reports that first aid treatment for a minor head injury has been treated with spray on plaster.

I have vague recollection of spray plaster being disregarded as suitable first aid treatment due to allegens and being ineffective as a barrier. But I can't find where I got this from before.

I know spray/liquid plasters were specifically banned for a previous client who had limited water supply on their remote site so cleaning sticky residue from first aiders and injured persons was not practical. 

But is there anything more specific about this?

Does your workplace use spray on plasters?

Any issues, concerns or additional controls in place?

Thanks in advance

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 04 May 2022 14:32:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

The covering is a thin plastic layer which has no cushioning, no strength to hold a wound closed and contaminates the skin/laceration.

That is before you get in to considerations of chemicals with a finite shelf life in a pressurised container with unknown applications left/available/viable?

You can count self adhesive dressings, be sure (where wrapped) they are uncontaminated (for some even sterile) along with closing and protecting the wound.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 04/05/2022(UTC), Self and Hasty on 04/05/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2022 14:32:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

The covering is a thin plastic layer which has no cushioning, no strength to hold a wound closed and contaminates the skin/laceration.

That is before you get in to considerations of chemicals with a finite shelf life in a pressurised container with unknown applications left/available/viable?

You can count self adhesive dressings, be sure (where wrapped) they are uncontaminated (for some even sterile) along with closing and protecting the wound.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 04/05/2022(UTC), Self and Hasty on 04/05/2022(UTC)
Self and Hasty  
#4 Posted : 04 May 2022 14:45:19(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

This is in line with my concerns, thank you for confirming that they are not a suitable solution. There are significant chemicals on site too such as arsenic so having wounds treated by sticky liquid when first aider and injured parties may have contaminants on their skin is not good control. Proper cleaning of wounds and standard plasters would be preferred.

Thank you
Kate  
#5 Posted : 05 May 2022 04:42:55(UTC)
Kate

Generally speaking first aiders should give first aid in accordance with their training.

So have they been trained to use spray-on plasters?

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 05/05/2022(UTC)
stevedm  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2022 13:28:37(UTC)
stevedm

as  Remote & Offshore medic and Paramedic, I would be extremely annoyed if you sprayed a wound with this...as you say stick to the basics clean and dress....if you ned to train them in the use of trauma packs such as celox that would be more beneficial to you than this stuff..keep it for the kids falling off bikes or grazing knees..  :)