Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Evans38004  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2022 10:41:17(UTC)
Evans38004

I have a client who uses Heptane & White spirits - are these acute toxic H1 substances?

Where would I find this information? EH40 or SDS?

Does H1 relate to a group of substances / risks?@  

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2022 10:49:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

H1? The WM3 Technical Guidance on hazardous waste codifies categories but these are HP numbers.

The ECHA web site has a substance look up https://echa.europa.eu/

When you look at the info card it gives the classification (including harmonised)

e.g. Heptane

Danger! According to the harmonised classification and labelling (ATP01) approved by the European Union, this substance may be fatal if swallowed and enters airways, is very toxic to aquatic life, is very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects, is a highly flammable liquid and vapour, causes skin irritation and may cause drowsiness or dizziness.

Flam. Liq. 2 H225, Skin Irrit. 2 H315, Asp. Tox. 1 H304, STOT SE 3 H336, Aquatic Acute 1 H400,  Aquatic Chronic 1 H410

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 26 May 2022 10:49:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

H1? The WM3 Technical Guidance on hazardous waste codifies categories but these are HP numbers.

The ECHA web site has a substance look up https://echa.europa.eu/

When you look at the info card it gives the classification (including harmonised)

e.g. Heptane

Danger! According to the harmonised classification and labelling (ATP01) approved by the European Union, this substance may be fatal if swallowed and enters airways, is very toxic to aquatic life, is very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects, is a highly flammable liquid and vapour, causes skin irritation and may cause drowsiness or dizziness.

Flam. Liq. 2 H225, Skin Irrit. 2 H315, Asp. Tox. 1 H304, STOT SE 3 H336, Aquatic Acute 1 H400,  Aquatic Chronic 1 H410

antbruce001  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2022 11:22:11(UTC)
antbruce001

Also on the same info card you will find the Seveso III information, that details which catagory it applies to in the COMAH treshold tables. Be careful of the P5 classification as which sub-group applies depends on how you store it.

Hope it helps.

Kate  
#5 Posted : 26 May 2022 12:15:13(UTC)
Kate

I've never heard of H1 either.

And I've spent lots of time with chemicals and their information.

Evans38004  
#6 Posted : 26 May 2022 12:53:37(UTC)
Evans38004

COMAH regs

Schedule 1 - Part 1

Section H - Health Hazards 

H1 ACUTE TOXIC Category 1, all exposure routes

H2 ACUTE TOXIC

— Category 2, all exposure routes

— Category 3, inhalation exposure route (see note 7)

H3 STOT SPECIFIC TARGET ORGAN TOXICITY – SINGLE EXPOSURE STOT SE Category 1

Edited by user 26 May 2022 15:22:15(UTC)  | Reason: corrected a mis-spelling

thanks 1 user thanked Evans38004 for this useful post.
Kate on 26/05/2022(UTC)
Kate  
#7 Posted : 26 May 2022 13:23:19(UTC)
Kate

This (ie the toxicity classifications - Cat 1 and the like) will be on the SDS (if it's up to standard) and as mentioned on the ECHA info card.

As SDS are often not up to standard I would be tempted to go with ECHA.

Edited by user 26 May 2022 13:26:43(UTC)  | Reason: To clarify "this"