Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kimbo2822  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2022 13:00:44(UTC)
Kimbo2822

Hi All,

Looking to get some advice, i'm currently working for a construction company and trying my best to bring everything upto scratch. The company has an exsisiting annual occ health programme in place for employees that are exposed to dust (stonemasons) and i'm about to add on the joinery department into this also.

However, would this then mean that any employee on site that is a carpenter, stonemason, plasterer, etc (we carry out heritage works, so old school work materials and techniques) also needs to be added to the occ health programme?

I'm struggling to get some real clarity on this,

TIA

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2022 13:40:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

If they are exposed to:

vibrating tools, silica/wood/gypsum/cement/stone dusts, noise, chemicals

they need health monitoring.

Even more so if your activity uses traditional methods for heritage repair.

Your occupationa health provider should be advising this already (if they have been correctly briefed)

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2022 13:40:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

If they are exposed to:

vibrating tools, silica/wood/gypsum/cement/stone dusts, noise, chemicals

they need health monitoring.

Even more so if your activity uses traditional methods for heritage repair.

Your occupationa health provider should be advising this already (if they have been correctly briefed)

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2022 16:21:19(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Kimbo

"Heritage" can mean all sorts of things.

As example, there is currently a consultation out as to whether to accord Listed Building status to Cumbernauld (New) town centre built only 50 years ago.

Share your views on Cumbernauld Town Centre | Historic Environment Scotland

But on the assumption that "heritage" is rather older it will still depend on which era.

In an ideal world there should be clues in the information provided by client and their consultants including in CDM pre-construction information + ecological and archaeological survey reports.

The older it is then probably the risks from using power tools decline as stonemasons working on aged cathedrals and such like tend to work with handtools to recreate intricate details from blocks of stone which can be cut to approximate size in factory-like conditions.

But looking at the wider picture you could have all sorts of zoonoses, e.g. anthrax in ancient horsehair in plaster, moulds, pigeon feathers and droppings, rats' urine etc.

+ lots of lead in pipework, paint layers and other building features. 

+ the asbestos containing materials that were put in during some 20th Century refurbishment.

AND you are going to be using new materials that pose greater risks than is the norm for construction - as example, any mortar is probably going to be required to be lime-based, as modern cement mortar eats away at stonework.

+ might be more hardwood than is usual.

Good luck, Peter

HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 30 May 2022 07:19:24(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Hi Kimbo

"Heritage" can mean all sorts of things.

As example, there is currently a consultation out as to whether to accord Listed Building status to Cumbernauld (New) town centre built only 50 years ago.

Share your views on Cumbernauld Town Centre | Historic Environment Scotland

Good luck, Peter

I was in grumpy mode this morning Peter and nearly reported you becuase of the link! Then i read the post again and realised it was not a breach of forum rules - is it Friday yet? I have had enough for 1 week!tPMK

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
peter gotch on 30/05/2022(UTC)
stevedm  
#6 Posted : 30 May 2022 11:20:33(UTC)
stevedm

Originally Posted by: Kimbo2822 Go to Quoted Post

Hi All,

Looking to get some advice, i'm currently working for a construction company and trying my best to bring everything upto scratch. The company has an exsisiting annual occ health programme in place for employees that are exposed to dust (stonemasons) and i'm about to add on the joinery department into this also.

However, would this then mean that any employee on site that is a carpenter, stonemason, plasterer, etc (we carry out heritage works, so old school work materials and techniques) also needs to be added to the occ health programme?

I'm struggling to get some real clarity on this,

TIA

You will need to add the job roles that clearly have that exposure - there may be a difference between job role and somone holding the qualification...