Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MDraper  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2022 14:00:21(UTC)
MDraper

Our old chairs (with separate back and seat pan) are being replaced with mesh back chairs, the back is fixed to the seat pan. We are getting complaints about the new chairs but the response has been that a slider lumber bar (behind the mesh) meets the regs. My view is that the regs state 'adjustable seat back height' which is not the same; also tilting the back tilts the seat pan (rather than operating independently)

Any similar experiences? 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2022 15:25:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

My current chair fits your description which when I got the lumbar support in the right position has proved as comfortable as one with mutiple adjustments.

As to the wording of the regulations: The seat back shall be adjustable in both height and tilt.

Nothing stating the tilt can't also move the seat pan and given a choice between a flat back that can slide up and down or an adjsutable lumbar support I know which I prefer.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2022 15:25:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

My current chair fits your description which when I got the lumbar support in the right position has proved as comfortable as one with mutiple adjustments.

As to the wording of the regulations: The seat back shall be adjustable in both height and tilt.

Nothing stating the tilt can't also move the seat pan and given a choice between a flat back that can slide up and down or an adjsutable lumbar support I know which I prefer.

johnc  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2022 17:48:58(UTC)
johnc

The position of the lumbar support is critical in preventing back problems and it doesn't matter how this is achieved. However the back tilt is to allow the angle between the back and thighs to be altered to suit the person. Hence the tilt must be independent of the seat part. If they move together the angle cannot change. Check that there is not another control to allow the back to tilt independently as the dual one is often used on chairs to help with standing up from the chair.