Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Herb  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2022 18:51:51(UTC)
Herb

Interested to hear others views - as we all know we are expecting high temperature of 33 on Friday and what the view is of school cross borough sports days going ahead. Risk assessment been reviewed to include advise parents to apply sun cream to their children, hats, loose clothing etc, rest in shade between races, race distances reduced, water available, children encorages to drink water regularly, longer breaks built in, staff to recognise signs of heat stress, shorter day (buy will still be in the sun between 9am-1pm) etc etc.

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2022 08:08:37(UTC)
HSSnail

Definitely needs banning! We need to lock kids away in a darkened room between July and September – and God forbid they go out between November and February when there may be ice on the ground! Im sorry for being sarcastic but for me you have done everything reasonable – kids need to play in the sun and parents need to take some responsibility! I do feel sorry for my colleagues in education as I know from being a school governor that some parents will try to sue for anything, workplace risk has been hijacked by many (like insurance) to include any life risk. I have used an image from the film Wall E in talks before – the human body needs some exercise, exposure to sunlight ext or we will all end up like that film being transported around in electric wheel chairs! Sorry rant over is it Friday!

thanks 4 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Evans38004 on 16/06/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 16/06/2022(UTC), RVThompson on 16/06/2022(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/06/2022(UTC)
peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2022 10:43:21(UTC)
peter gotch

No Brian, it's not Friday.

But the post is about Friday - when apparently it is going to be very hot down South but not up in here in Scotland.

But Herb's organisation does seem to have thought through the risks and proportionate mitigations and I fully agree that we should not be wrapping up people in unnecessary cotton wool.

P

Messey  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2022 12:43:02(UTC)
Messey

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

I fully agree that we should not be wrapping up people in unnecessary cotton wool.

Especially in 33C

thanks 3 users thanked Messey for this useful post.
Kate on 16/06/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 16/06/2022(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/06/2022(UTC)