Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hornibrook  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2022 13:59:52(UTC)
Hornibrook

My first post!

About to start a new job as Health & Safety Advisor and have worked with the HSG65 managment system in my last school,my first task in my new role will be to find a good cloud based safety managment system so accident stats and ill health can be shown in monthly meetings.

My first question is , can anyone recommend a good cloud based mannagment system for reporting ?

And the second question is the company did have the old OHSAS 18001 and i would looking at getting the accreditation again, so with first question in mind what is the best managment system to use for the ISO45001 and best providers of both ,as there is a lot out there !  ?

Thank you all

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2022 14:21:34(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Hornibrook

1. I would want to know how much lost time (including to the pupils) is occurring as a result of work-related accidents and ill health before even considering a cloud based incident management system to aid reporting, let alone any attempt to read too much into the numbers.

Very much doubt that you will have sufficient data to come to conclusions as to any trends in less than several years, so trying to look at movements monthly is likely to be misleading.

2. Not a lot of difference between the requirements of OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001, so perhaps keep the previous accreditor for 18001 at the top of your preferred list of providers (unless there has been a falling out!)

But, personally, I would not have accreditation near the top of my to do list in a new job UNLESS your employer is determined to get it. They might consider it a commercial imperative.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Hornibrook on 20/07/2022(UTC)
mike350  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2022 06:50:16(UTC)
mike350

As Peter suggested, not much difference between 18001 and 45001, in reality our transition went pretty smoothly once we understood the revised clauses.

As far as accrediting bodies are concerned it's really about the expectation of your employer and your clients (if you have them) and whether UKAS accreditation is essential. QMS will help you to achieve accreditation but they are a stand alone accreditation and there is a lot of snobbery about their service because of that. Ultimately they audit to the same standard as BSI or Alcumus but provide more help and support with the details at around 40% of the cost. Their aim is to get you accredited and then help you develop your Business Management System.

We are currently moving to Alcumus because we now need the UKAS accreditation and used TeamworksIMS to provide a gap analysis which showed that we are pretty much audit ready.

QtinaLLittle  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2022 07:54:29(UTC)
QtinaLLittle

Hi there, 

OHAS 18001 has been withdrawn and replaced by 45001:2018 which is the new international standard for occupational health and safety management, however if your employer has held 18001 previously, processes for compliance are likely to be in place (if maintained since) so migration to 45001 should be simple enough. 

I would suggest a simple gap analysis to determine any discrepencies but very little differences as noted by others. 

Good luck with the new job!

ONeill  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2022 08:32:09(UTC)
ONeill

Have alook at Google Sites.  You can build your own system and have reports uploaded for others to view.

I built our ISO14001, 9001 and 45001 on Google Sites along with my Transport Management and Maintenance systems on it.

If you can use Word then you can use Google Sites.

Google sites was free until recently - now it's approx £4.50 per commercial user. 

It's free for elegible educational institutions.