Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Matthew_Orton  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2022 15:06:31(UTC)
Matthew_Orton

Afternoon all, 

I am wondering if anyone out there has ever done a Laser Safety Officers course (or similar) and if so where? My company have asked me to look into doing the course but I cannot seem to find any courses that are being run for the rest of the year? 

This is a previous topic, but the link provided is now inactive. 

Many thanks, 

jfw  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2022 09:11:04(UTC)
jfw

I did a Laser Safety Officers course a few years ago. At the time it was run by the Health Protection Agency in conjunction with Loughborough University, which is where it was held.

It was a residential course, which ran over a few days and at the time, they only ran it once a year.

The HPA is now Public Health England. Checking their website, cant see any details of the course, but there is a contact email that might help :-

laser@phe.gov.uk

The Loughborough course was thorough and if it's still running, I'd recommend it.

There were a couple of others offering a LSO course, but they were one day courses that didnt go into the same level of knowledge. Depends if you want a good course that will give you the knowledge and skills to be a LSO or just want a certificate that says you're a LSO. I know which one I'd want.

One-day LSO Laser Safety Training | Lasermet Laser Safety Experts

thanks 3 users thanked jfw for this useful post.
Matthew_Orton on 03/08/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 03/08/2022(UTC), HSSnail on 03/08/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2022 11:19:23(UTC)
HSSnail

Is this the same thing as a Radiation Protection Advisor?

If so then this HSE site may be useful. Radiation Protection Advisers (hse.gov.uk)

Kate  
#4 Posted : 03 August 2022 11:58:42(UTC)
Kate

It's not the same thing - an RPA deals with ionising radiation (X-rays, radioactive materials and the like).

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
HSSnail on 03/08/2022(UTC)