Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sarah Williams  
#1 Posted : 23 August 2022 15:24:30(UTC)
Sarah Williams

Hi, I have just joined Iosh. I've just finished the Nebosh Level 3 national general certificate in occupational health and safey and am thinking about doing the diploma. Am not sure whether to stay with Nebosh or switch to City and Guilds. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Sarah

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 25 August 2022 09:15:05(UTC)
HSSnail

Well done on the level 3. A lots depends on your prefered learning style. Its been a while since i looked at NEBOSH and i know its changed a lot but it used to be very book based. City and Guilds tend to be more practical application, but obviously you have to be in a position to produce the evidance (like NVQs). I know a few people who have done the NCRQ Diploma (also level 6) recently and hear good things about it. 

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 25 August 2022 16:43:16(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Sarah

To add to the sound advice that Brian has given the choice might be influenced by what your job entails and how much scope you have for the the tasks to be expanded to give you a range of risk scenarios to assess - to enable an NVQ portfolio to be largely the product of your day to day work.

NCRQ is different as it takes you away from your comfort zone by giving you a series of assignments based on mostly real scenarios that are likely to be from sectors other than that you work in, but to enable you to use your transferable skills and experience.

I have two current mentors who have been doing the Level 6 NCRQ. One has sailed through and has just completed their Diploma. The other is struggling to find the time [which might be largely due to an unsupportive employer], but because of the words in square brackets, they probably wouldn't do better via some other route.

P

chris42  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2022 08:14:55(UTC)
chris42

To add a slightly different answer. Have you considered which type of qualification will be best for your current / future employment? What are the employers in your sector asking for in the current job market? Just a thought.

I’m one of those old people, who did the NEBOSH diploma, opposed to the current trend for NCRQ. I don’t agree with others that it was all book reading, I remember having to go through lots of real-life scenarios both in the training and exams. Yes, there was lots of reading of Legislation and ACOP’s, but there is always going to be.

Don’t get me wrong it was hard, but the sense of satisfaction once I had done it was great. I have not done the newer NCRQ (why would I do both) and it seems to suit a lot of peoples learning style, which can’t be ignored. However, when out in the real world, you will need to read legislation etc and interpret them, so ultimately what is the difference.

The difference between the NEBOSH cert and the Diploma in my view was that after the cert I felt the legislation and ACOP’s were clear and straightforward, then having done the Diploma I realised there were actually many shades of grey. RIDDOR questions on here anyone ha ha.

Others may disagree this is just my humble opinion.

Chris

thanks 3 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
HSSnail on 26/08/2022(UTC), sdkirby on 26/08/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 26/08/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2022 11:59:38(UTC)
HSSnail

Chris – always useful to here other people’s  view and im not saying any one route is better than another. Having fallen into H&S from university I tried the NEBOSH diploma route about 30 years ago via distance learning, at that time it was 4 exams Risk Management (which I passed) Occupational Health (which I failed 2x) I think the 3rd was Law( which I also failed) and the 4th was a case study (never sat) so I know its changed a lot since then. My training provider was giving me borderline distinctions in test papers (and no I was not cheating) so I finally gave up in frustration. Funnily enough talking to people in my final exam some people were sitting the exams for the 4th or 5th time. I would always advise anyone going with a training provider not just to check pass rate but also ask about their ability to predict a pass.

Fortunately at about the same time Portsmouth University introduced its PGc/MSc programme. I was on the 1st year of the course, 4 case studies which had to be backed up with references from other studies and 2 exams. This very much suited me as it was closer to the style of learning/examination from my BSc.

As you say at level 6 you soon realise that not everything is black and white – lots of gray areas.

We all have different experiences – but as I say I don’t believe any route is “better” than any other – neither do I believe any route guarantees a “stronger practitioner” than any other – you get good and bad no matter how they get there.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
peter gotch on 26/08/2022(UTC)