Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ExDeeps  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2022 11:00:50(UTC)
ExDeeps

Hi, I'm starting to plan stepping back from full time work and I have a query. My thinking is to leave my current safety management role but being late 50's I would be interested in some p/t work (On my list is stacking shelves, pulling pints etc) and so I'm curious about the availability of p/t work, say 2 days / week or seasonal support to projects in industry. What sort of work would be available for a p/t safety manager?

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts please? Do I talk to an agency, network my LinkedIn chums, approach H&S consultancies? 

Really curious in a "it's an idea" kind of way,

Thanks

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2022 14:31:43(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi ExDeeps

In an "it's an idea" sort of way I would say that you are pondering two substantially different forms of part time work:

1. 2-3 days a week

2. Seasonal (or intermittent) work

I think these possibly need somwhat different approaches.

In theory there should be employers who are embracing flexible working and so should look at the CV wanting to effectively job share in a sympathetic way OR they may simply advertise a role as being part time.

To be honest, usually the part time jobs are rolled into full time jobs by adding on environment, quality etc etc. etc.

Though one of my contacts who would not be choosing to go part time did recently ask for my views on a part time role that had been advertised.

In terms of the seasonal or intermittent work, I guess that manu would fall into either the client who probably has enough diversity of needs to make the job full time OR the e.g. farmer who is probably less likely to be looking for in-house staff.

Except for e.g. fairgrounds, where the better end of the sector might be interested in seasonal support.

However, there are regularly contractors (particularly in construction) looking for site [reference removed] for specific projects - which might last say 3 months, but possibly much longer. Might need to travel and might be expected to work long hours for the "season" you are working.

So, if say a site operates from 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday, your nominal 40 hours could be expected to be much longer. "The site is working so we need a Safety bod whenever the site is open." You might think that being away from home is a chance to explore somewhere new but your employer might have other ideas!!

In terms of what you should do, probably all of the options you have mentioned. By all means talk to the agencies, but be prepared for them to have little competence when it comes to placing H&S people.

....and if you do your networking there might be someone looking for somebody to lead on a short term project. Whatever bright idea someone has that the in-house team has no time to progress.

Good luck, Peter

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
ExDeeps on 23/09/2022(UTC)
Kate  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2022 13:09:04(UTC)
Kate

Part time opportunities are very rarely advertised, but they do exist.  It's a case of knowing how to find (or create) them.  All of your ideas for doing this are good ones.

Many opportunities are unlikely to be on a traditional employment basis, with businesses often preferring consultancy.  Freelancing through an existing consultancy business would save a lot of the burden of setting up on your own.

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
ExDeeps on 23/09/2022(UTC), sevans62 on 05/04/2023(UTC)
haulfryn  
#4 Posted : 03 October 2022 12:02:16(UTC)
haulfryn

Hi ExDeeps

I was in a similar position after being made redundant.  Originally I was going to retire but then I was contacted by someone I knew and was asked would I work one day a week for a daily fee.  I agreed.

I had to become self employed.  I only agreed to this as the work was regular.  I have since increased my workload to 2-3 days per week.

I have set up as a Ltd company, take out business insurance, get a bank account for the business and I use the services of an accountant.   You don't need an accountant as you can do this yourself but I thought it best if I used someone who knew what they were doing.

Then you will have the issue of tax, PAYE and corporation tax which was a bit of a learning curve.

But unless you have regular work I would say it is not worth the hassle.

thanks 1 user thanked haulfryn for this useful post.
ExDeeps on 03/10/2022(UTC)