Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jakejohnston  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2023 07:59:13(UTC)
Jakejohnston

Hi All,

I work for a remediation company that undertake all sorts of different works, we usually carry out very small and basic lifts with excavators only, we have an Appointed Person who is responsible for documenting lift plans and supervising the more complex/new lifts, however a Client recently asked me if we have a Lift Supervisor present for all lifting activities on site. 

Q. Can anyone offer any guidance or advice on this? 

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2023 10:31:56(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Jake

Welcome to the Forums.

It might help if you give an indication of what you describe as "basic" lifts using an excavator as that might give a clue to your Client's thinking.

Before clarifying you might want to run through the relative parts of LOLER and explain which aspects are relevant to this thread.

For perspective I have seen numerous "basic" lifts by excavators done VERY unsafely!! - often starting with the operator not having a clue as to how heavy the load is. Relying on an alarm sounding to tell you that you have broken the law is not an excuse!!

M.cooper.99  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2023 14:45:00(UTC)
M.cooper.99

Hi Jake,

The HSE has released some good practice guidance in partnership with the Construction Plant-hire Association on lifting with excavators. The link can be found on this FAQ: Frequently asked questions – Construction - Excavators and LOLER (hse.gov.uk) This is aimed at the construction industry, however, as good practice I think some parts could easily be applied to your own industry. In the guidance it does state that a lift supervisor should be present to ensure compliance with the lifting plan at all times and that a signaller/slinger can also have the role of lift supervisor.

Best of luck

Mathew