Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Barney669  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2023 13:44:37(UTC)
Barney669

Hi all. My other (better) half has recently had an EHO inspection on a Cafe that she runs. The handwash basin in the kitchen has a drainage pipe that goes out through the wall but has no further pipe going anywhere - it just drains down to the road surface below. In anticipation of this not being acceptable to EHO, we collect the water in a container and, every day, dispose of it into the storm drain about 5 metres away. The EHO inspector was not sure whether this was acceptable but did agree that it was better than just letting it drain out on the road! As it is ONLY hand wash, water and hand soap, does anyone know of any regulation that says we can or can't do this? 

RVThompson  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2023 07:03:19(UTC)
RVThompson

Hi Barney,

Looking at your profile, I’m assuming your water company is Yorkshire Water?

Here is a link that explains your hand basin run-off isn’t classed as trade effluent: -https://www.yorkshirewater.com/business/trade-effluent/

I believe the applicable regulation is the Water Industry Act 1991 (but I could be wrong).

thanks 3 users thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
Barney669 on 26/10/2023(UTC), M.cooper.99 on 26/10/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 26/10/2023(UTC)
Kate  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2023 08:25:14(UTC)
Kate

However, it not being trade effluent doesn't necessarily make it OK to discharge into the storm drain.  That just means it can go into the foul drain without a consent from the water company (as it is assumed not to have an impact on the operation of the sewer works). 

I am surprised the EHO didn't know the answer to the question, and if they don't know, I'm not going to pretend to.  But it does sound to me as if it has not been correctly plumbed.

thanks 4 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 26/10/2023(UTC), M.cooper.99 on 26/10/2023(UTC), Roundtuit on 26/10/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 26/10/2023(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 26 October 2023 08:50:48(UTC)
A Kurdziel

About 10 years ago there was a clamp down by Yorkshire Water on hand car wash operations that allowed their water to drain away into the storm drains. These are intended to collect run off water and are usually connected directly to the nearest water course, with no treatment taking place. Water companies are very twitchy about what goes down there. The idea of arranging  a hand basin so that water goes into the storm drain feels wrong. Surely it should either be properly plumbed into the foul sewer or into a tank/soakaway?

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 26/10/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 26/10/2023(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 26 October 2023 09:09:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Surface water drainage is solely for rain / melt water on the presumption it is clean and is likely to enter the local watercourse.

United Utilities in Lancashire also had a purge on car washes particularly on porous grounds as there was possibility to contaminate ground waters which in some areas are the potable supply.

If it is grey water it should always be sent to the foul sewer even the contents of a mop bucket should not be dropped in the car park drain.

Took some time but I finally understood the purpose and design of a mop bucket sink.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 26/10/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 26/10/2023(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 26 October 2023 09:09:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Surface water drainage is solely for rain / melt water on the presumption it is clean and is likely to enter the local watercourse.

United Utilities in Lancashire also had a purge on car washes particularly on porous grounds as there was possibility to contaminate ground waters which in some areas are the potable supply.

If it is grey water it should always be sent to the foul sewer even the contents of a mop bucket should not be dropped in the car park drain.

Took some time but I finally understood the purpose and design of a mop bucket sink.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 26/10/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 26/10/2023(UTC)
Alan Haynes  
#7 Posted : 26 October 2023 10:57:12(UTC)
Alan Haynes

As its a cafe, I'm assuming it has toilet. On that assumption - pour through grey water down the toilet
thanks 1 user thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
sevans62 on 06/11/2023(UTC)
Liddell45728  
#8 Posted : 31 October 2023 11:09:54(UTC)
Liddell45728

Just read this thread. Shame I missed it earlier. It did make me inwardly chuckle.

"there was a clamp down by Yorkshire Water on hand car wash operations that allowed their water to drain away into the storm drains" and "United Utilities in Lancashire also had a purge on car washes"

Given recent news reports, ​​​​​​​I see Rober Duvall stood in his Air Cav uniform (a.k.a Lt.Col. Bill Kilgore): "You smell that? Do you smell that? Hypocracy, son. Nothing in the world smells like that."

Edited by user 31 October 2023 11:10:40(UTC)  | Reason: Human involved.