Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Uan80  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2023 14:51:10(UTC)
Uan80

Hi there, 

We have recently contacted the manufacturer of a component we use regarding the process for replacing the part.  The manufacturer has advised that it needs to be heated using burning torches to allow the component to expand slightly, enough for it to be removed.  The component is manufactured for use in zone 2 areas.

I have queried the process with the manufacturer because of the obvious issue of introducing an ignition source to an EX zone and their response was that because the ex zone was outdoors and additionally can be adequately ventilated by mechanical ventilation to reduce the concentration of the flammable gas to well below the LEL, that this was an acceptible way to proceed.  Would anyone have any thoughts on this? 

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2023 16:54:09(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Una

Suggest you give a bit more detail about the equipment.

So, what is this component and what is a part of?

What is the rationale for the Zone 2 classification?

....and then for the detail, could you perhaps remove a larger part of the equipment so as to be outside the Zone 2 before doing the hot work?......or is there some alternate way of removing the component to avoid hot work?

Holliday42333  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2023 08:53:06(UTC)
Holliday42333

Hi Una,

Is it possible to isolate and purge the area to temporarily remove the Zone?  You would need to involve a Process Engineer to reassess the Zone.

Alternatively I have seen heating pads do the same job, although I am not sure how effective they are or if they were only used for a specific set of materials.  I wasn't directly involved but it was certainly a solution used in a similar scenario to yours.  The manuafcturer probably has easy access to burning torches so have suggested this for their ease as much as anything else.

John Elder  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2023 13:27:09(UTC)
John Elder

There is so much wrong with this initial post that alarm bells should start ringing for any competent person in the field of DSEAR and ATEX.

And not wishing to cause offence that is not my intention, the fact that you are on a public forum seeking advice indicates that you potentially do not possess the adequate knowledge skills and competencies for the works you are undertaking, and this is not the place to find the information you require.

You need to refer to the DSEAR responsible person for the hazardous area where the equipment is located to discuss the relevant permits to work and control measures required to conduct such works.

Also I assume this is an ATEX rated part upon ATEX rated equipment as it is located within the Hazardous Zone 2. Would this be considered as a refurbishment or repair under BSEN 60079-19 Explosive Atmospheres equipment repair, overhaul and reclamation and do you hold the relevant competencies and insurances to conduct such works.

The reason I ask is that this doesn’t sound like standard Inspection or installations works that would be conducted upon ATEX Equipment.

Ian Bell2  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2023 13:57:42(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Calm down John, you do get very excited about ATEX. I think your approach isn't helpful in being so dramatic.

If the original poster was confident in what to do, they wouldn't have asked a question. Isn't this the point of the forum, for those who don't know or are outside their area of expertise to ask questions?

Without knowing more about the job, Holliday is probably on the right lines. Isolate the process/stop the process to remove the Zone 2, or maybe construct a temporary tent over the point of work which can be non hazardous and hence allow hot work to be undertaken.

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 06/11/2023(UTC)
mike350  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2023 10:00:41(UTC)
mike350

Heat in engineering is normally used to seperate two parts made of different metals, i.e a bearing from a shaft and allows enough expansion for the bearing to be pulled safely. Zone 2 being the lowest of the zones indicating minimal danger in normal operation, should mean that providing the source of the hazard is isolated and the area is well ventillated beforehand the operation could be completed in situ. However to be completely safe removal of a larger section and seperation of the parts outside the area would be better.  

thanks 1 user thanked mike350 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 06/11/2023(UTC)