Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RussCo  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2023 16:11:36(UTC)
RussCo

Hi ,

Unfortunalty we have discovered a mouse infestation amongst several of our recent inbound pallets.

I am interested to learn if anyone has any risk assessment information we could peruse , as to the well being and saflety of our workforce. It goes without saying we have notified the supplier and our pest control providors .

Never a pleasant subject , any pointers gratefully received,

RussCo

Kate  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2023 08:18:44(UTC)
Kate

Mice aren't dangerous* - people just tend to over-react to them, like spiders.

People will want to know what is happening, what you are doing about it, what they can do with their packed lunches and snacks so the mice won't get to them (don't feed the mice), and what they should do if they see mice or evidence of mice (how to report it).  So it's just a case of giving good information and listening tactfully to what people tell you.

* Well to be fair, they do like to eat electrical insulation which can cause a problem,a lthough they are still more a danger to themsleves.

Edited by user 31 October 2023 08:21:43(UTC)  | Reason: Footnote

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2023 09:15:26(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Hi

Are mouse UK mice or have they come from abroad? The government  does not take kindly to foreign mice turn up in the UK! If they are then you should contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency(APHA).   

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Pirellipete on 07/11/2023(UTC)
Highpants  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2023 10:05:17(UTC)
Highpants

I have to disagree with the comment that Mice are not dangerous, it has already been pointed out that they are attracted to Electrical wiring and in addition they absolutley carry disease and pass urine over any surface they come into contact with which in itself is a Health Hazard. If these Mice have came from abroad then there is a huge amount of not very nice desease they could pass on, Rat's on Ships and the 'Plague' anyone.

Kate  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2023 10:13:22(UTC)
Kate

Like I said - people over-react to mice!

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 31/10/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 01/11/2023(UTC)
HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2023 09:38:51(UTC)
HSSnail

dont forget that all rodents - not just rats can carry Leptospirosis as well as other infections. While more usualy associated with contaminated water i would be looking at good hygiene practices when unloading.

firesafety101  
#7 Posted : 01 November 2023 10:48:59(UTC)
firesafety101

A protester has released mice spray painted in the coloiurs of Palestine into a MacDonalds in Birmingham.

What next - a mouse carrying a bomb.  Who says mice aren't dangerous.  Haven't you heard of Dangermouse. 

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 01 November 2023 11:03:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

The Special Operations Excutive are reported to have developed exploding rats

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 01 November 2023 11:03:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

HSSnail  
#10 Posted : 01 November 2023 12:03:57(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

BBC - History - World Wars: British Special Operations Executive (SOE): Tools and Gadgets Gallery

Well i understand there is only one way to get rid of a Mole!

Kate  
#11 Posted : 02 November 2023 08:19:12(UTC)
Kate

So to summarise, for your safety around mice:

1. Do not use electrical cables that mice have chewed into.

2. Do not lick surfaces that mice have run over.

3. Keep an explosion-proof barrier between yourself and the mice.

thanks 4 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
chris42 on 02/11/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 02/11/2023(UTC), HSSnail on 07/11/2023(UTC), SteveL on 07/11/2023(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#12 Posted : 02 November 2023 10:41:20(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Rodents such as mice are mainly a nuisance but those from abroad can be carrying all sorts of diseases such as Hantavirus-https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19514367., hence the concern from people like Defra-APHA.

firesafety101  
#13 Posted : 02 November 2023 10:47:17(UTC)
firesafety101

Even elephants are scared of mice.

Joking aside criminals and terrorists are devising brilliant methods of upsetting our applecarts and anything that enters the UK without being ordered in, like the mice ridden pallets should be looked at with extreme caution. IMHO.

HSSnail  
#14 Posted : 07 November 2023 09:46:45(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

While i usually find your postings very measured think you are being a bit dismissive here Kate. 

As i think i said in my original post - i would just be reminding people about good hygiene - hand washing etc if i found incoming goods heavily contaminated with rodent droppings or urine. Its easy to say working with an Environmental health team i dealt with a number of food poisonings caused by rodent contamination of packaging. and while its rare people do die of food poisoning.

I agree dont make a huge issue of it - just simple sensible, proportionate controls needed - but dont ignore it.

Stefan Healey  
#15 Posted : 08 November 2023 14:27:16(UTC)
Stefan Healey

Originally Posted by: HSSnail Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

While i usually find your postings very measured think you are being a bit dismissive here Kate. 

As i think i said in my original post - i would just be reminding people about good hygiene - hand washing etc if i found incoming goods heavily contaminated with rodent droppings or urine. Its easy to say working with an Environmental health team i dealt with a number of food poisonings caused by rodent contamination of packaging. and while its rare people do die of food poisoning.

I agree dont make a huge issue of it - just simple sensible, proportionate controls needed - but dont ignore it.

I agree, we are not even sure what the industry in question is. For example, birds are not dangerous until they are at an airport. If this is in the food industry then there is potential for harm.