Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Holliday42333  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2023 10:55:03(UTC)
Holliday42333

Reviewing COSHH Assessments and for another cycle I am amazed at how difficult it is to get up to date Safety Data Sheets.

I'm not looking for anything particularly exotic but manufacturer websites tend to have technical data sheets but not safety data sheets.  I've had companies deny all knowledge of products despite me having a data sheet in front of me from the last cycle of reviews and quite a few ignored emails.  Some SDS on retailer websites are over a decade old!

It really shouldn't be this hard.  Discuss.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2023 11:13:28(UTC)
Kate

The supplier (not the manufacturer) is legally required to give you the safety data sheet on request.

My experience is that they will often do so, either through an automated service or by email, but the one they give you has been superseded some time ago by one you can find on the manufacturer's website (often only after registering for this service).

I have even seen a disclaimer on a supplier's website stating that the SDS they provide may not be the most up to date one from the manufacturer!

I always scrutinise the date and what standard and jurisdiction it pertains to.

Edited by user 14 November 2023 11:15:31(UTC)  | Reason: I 'scutinised' my typing

Jonny95  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2023 11:18:42(UTC)
Jonny95

When I'm really struggling, I use a website called the International Safety Data Sheet Service. It's free to register, but I am wary of how up-to-date these are but so far, it has served me well.

Holliday42333  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2023 11:21:13(UTC)
Holliday42333

You are absolutely right Kate that it should be the supplier who provides the SDS but my experience is the same as yours.

It seems to have gotten worse over the years.  25+ years ago I worked in a product development lab and MSDS were no problem then as you recieved them with every single order of any chemical.  We also produced and sent them with every single sample product sent out.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2023 14:12:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Holliday42333 Go to Quoted Post
I'm not looking for anything particularly exotic but manufacturer websites tend to have technical data sheets but not safety data sheets.

There is a specific obligation under EU (UK) REACH where a Safety Data Sheet has to be "made available".

In their deliberations the Member States decided that having a Safety Data Sheet posted to a web site was "passive distribution" which failed the test of making available.

At the same time we also had the delights of GDPR seeing mailing lists destroyed so as not to be seen holding "personal data" on people outside of the company.

Most compliant suppliers tend to end up attaching SDS to either shipping documents or invoices to suit their business management systems which unfortunately could result in the SDS being in another country to the person requiring its content (let alone another office on site). Here educating goods inwards and accounts can prove beneficial to having SDS internally re-directed rather than just filed with the notes they are attached to.

So we end up at the current situation where distributors have out of date documents appended openly to their web site and the manufacturers requiring those seeking documents to log-in so they have a record of actual transmission.

Personally I prefer direct contact especially where manufacturers have product variants around a theme.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2023 14:12:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Holliday42333 Go to Quoted Post
I'm not looking for anything particularly exotic but manufacturer websites tend to have technical data sheets but not safety data sheets.

There is a specific obligation under EU (UK) REACH where a Safety Data Sheet has to be "made available".

In their deliberations the Member States decided that having a Safety Data Sheet posted to a web site was "passive distribution" which failed the test of making available.

At the same time we also had the delights of GDPR seeing mailing lists destroyed so as not to be seen holding "personal data" on people outside of the company.

Most compliant suppliers tend to end up attaching SDS to either shipping documents or invoices to suit their business management systems which unfortunately could result in the SDS being in another country to the person requiring its content (let alone another office on site). Here educating goods inwards and accounts can prove beneficial to having SDS internally re-directed rather than just filed with the notes they are attached to.

So we end up at the current situation where distributors have out of date documents appended openly to their web site and the manufacturers requiring those seeking documents to log-in so they have a record of actual transmission.

Personally I prefer direct contact especially where manufacturers have product variants around a theme.