Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LorraineCFA  
#1 Posted : 22 November 2023 21:29:20(UTC)
LorraineCFA

Can someone advise on a couple of things please:

I have been asked to sign off a new fettling shop.  There are 2 pedestal linishing machines, 1 pedestal grinder and 2 down flow benches.  The room is plastic cladded on the walls, rubber flooring.  One linishing machine and bench will be used with ferrous, the other non-ferrous.  The room is open and the linishing machine ejects sparks down towards the floor and to some point to the arm area.

Questions:

Is this a safe area to be working in in terms of both metals in the same area with combustible dusts and sparks?

Is the flooring adequate and is it forseeable that a spark could cause a reaction?

The pedestal grinder is in the middle of the room - there is no physcial seperation between ferrous and non ferrous, just that they are on opposites side of a small workshop - approx 12 feet square - should I insist on seperation ?

Housekeeping - should we use a hoover that is atex rated?  and if so can we mix the shavings into the same hoover?

Thanks

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2023 16:28:27(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Lorraine

Even if I thought I was a DSEAR expert there is not enough information in your posting to enable valid advice on the scenario.

Would need to know WHAT non-ferrous.

....and to an extent WHAT ferrous as what may have been added to the iron, or, perhaps more likely, steel may mean that you need to be thinking about the COSHH implications as much as those relating to fire and explosion.

+ what extraction on each machine - not least to avoid the idea that dust etc given off in processing might be comixed when cleaning floors and other surfaces.

+ how much processing

+ details of the flammability of walls and floor [to be honest both materials surprise me]

.....just to start with.

So, I suppose perhaps it is time to change the question.

Shouldn't you be asking those responsible for this fit out to provide their validation of what they have put in place? Where is the paperwork setting out the assessment of the risks and the mitigations to be provided?