Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TigerJ  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2023 08:24:49(UTC)
TigerJ

Our machinery mechanic has asked me if there are any H&S implications of him buying a replacement part for a strimmer harness which is not from the original equipment manager (and is considerably cheaper).

There doesn't seem to be any specific guidance on this so my thinking is that the general rule applies that equipment must be safe to use.

The manufacturers of OEM parts of course advise you should only use them for a number of reasons but I am wary of accepting this at face value because of the obvious vested interest.

Does anyone have any advise or guidance on this?

Nerdy1  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2023 12:20:32(UTC)
Nerdy1

I assume yo are talking about a wiring harness rather than a safety harness for working at height?

We have a lot of machinery at our site that was made 50-60  years ago so we rely on non OEM spare parts quite heavily. So long as they are made to a standard and are not  cheap chinese imports then I can see no issue. 

thanks 1 user thanked Nerdy1 for this useful post.
TigerJ on 29/11/2023(UTC)