Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Baz35  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2023 12:55:13(UTC)
Baz35

Hi everyone

Quick question:

Does a Pre Construction Information pack (PCI) have to be in possession of the Principle Contractor, with a hard copy on site? Industry is utilities.

Thanks 

Edited by user 18 December 2023 13:27:27(UTC)  | Reason: To make clear

Craig22  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2023 16:12:43(UTC)
Craig22

Hi, all relevant pre-contruction information should be provided to the PC to ensure they can account for ALL forseeable risks on site. I would not expect this to be as hard copy on site, however there may be relevant parts that of the PCI that would be helpful being available on site i.e. asbestos reports etc. 

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2023 13:22:58(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Baz - hardly anything is in hard copy these days.

What you want is information in a format that can be easily understood by whoever needs what part of the information.

The PCI is largely there to inform the Principal Contractor and to take into account in the Construction Phase Plan, whilst the PCI will also inform whatever new or amended design may happen during the construction phase and, also the health and safety file or often more likely in utilities, files to be handed over to the Client(s) at the end of the works.

I disagree with the idea that any of this documentation should cover ALL risks.

HSE were sufficiently annoyed about the excessive bureacracy that was exacerbated with CDM 1994, that is went to great steps to try and show that this was not intended in the Approved Code of Practice, L144 which supported CDM 2007.

Under apparent pressure to go "lite" with the guidance (NOT ACOP and guidance) that supports CDM 2015, L153 is not quite as clear.

Nevertheless it refers to "significant risks" and defines these on page 88 of L153.

So, on a typical utilities project there will be substantial (some would say "significant") risks of e.g. slips and trips as the works are often either in the street, notorious for potholes and broken up footpaths, or in rough terrain. BUT this is obvious and any competent Contractor should know how best to mitigate the risks.

Hence, paperwork or electronic equivalent should focus on the things which are less obvious or which may be difficult to manage.

If the documentation is more concise, the information it contains is FAR more likely to be taken on board by those working on the project. So, as example what the Contractor usually does in terms of "safe digging practices" could be the generic document in some Manual SUPPLEMENTED by site and project specific information which might often include so called "SHE boxes" on drawings.

firesafety101  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2023 13:40:08(UTC)
firesafety101

I personally find hard copies very cumbersome and take up too much space wheareas anything received by email is so much easier to manage.

The Pre Construction information should be available on site and I inclide that within the CPP.  I also find I can Copy/Paste from the PCI to my CPP relevant details I need to include in the CPP.

Also much easier to send the CPP to the PD by email attachment.

I remember the days when I had to use Lever Arch files for the CPP,  printing everything out and copying from the PCI using my keyboard, I was occupying a shared printer for ages which never went down well.  I always did a copy for myself and stored them underneath my desk.  The copy for PD/Client had to be hand delivered, but that did get me out of the office.

User is suspended until 08/07/2024 09:33:43(UTC) tacitleaf  
#5 Posted : 21 December 2023 07:31:14(UTC)
tacitleaf

The requirements for a Pre Construction Information (PCI) pack may vary depending on the specific regulations and contractual agreements in your region and industry. 

connections puzzle

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 21 December 2023 09:29:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

tacitleaf - hidden hyperling - REPORTED

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 24/12/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 24/12/2023(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 21 December 2023 09:29:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

tacitleaf - hidden hyperling - REPORTED

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 24/12/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 24/12/2023(UTC)