Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sarah Yates  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2023 13:09:57(UTC)
Sarah Yates

Anyone in a manufacturing facility. How do you ensure your staff are using and have read the most up to date risk assessement? 

I am looking for ideas 

Bass900063  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2023 13:19:24(UTC)
Bass900063

Hi Sarah

I would hold a tool box talk with the relevant staff where you can discuss the new control measures. The advantage of the tool box talk is that you can check understanding. I find this better than just issuing a new document and expecting staff to read them. Assuming the SOP will also change with the risk assessment so you can incorproate this into the TB talk.

Then there will need to be some observation/supervision to check they are following new method.

HTH

Christine

thanks 2 users thanked Bass900063 for this useful post.
Kate on 19/12/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 22/12/2023(UTC)
Kate  
#3 Posted : 19 December 2023 13:49:28(UTC)
Kate

I agree with the above.  The aim shouldn't be for staff to read, understand and use the risk assessments but for them to understand and use the control measures.  The risk assessment can be an aid in this but a toolbox talk would generally be better.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 19/12/2023(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2023 14:26:07(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As Kate says it’s the Method Statement/SOP/Instructions etc that the frontline staff need access to. The supervisors need to make sure that these are the upto date versions, and that is achieved by having a version control system.  These are easily available. Someone needs to make that only controlled copies of the documents are released and circulated and that when an update happens all of the old, controlled copies are destroyed.

polinkuer12  
#5 Posted : 22 December 2023 07:15:26(UTC)
polinkuer12

What do you think about Understanding Test Design? Create a short quiz or survey to gauge employee understanding of the updated risk assessment. This will help you ensure that the information has been properly understood and absorbed.