Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Self and Hasty  
#1 Posted : 20 December 2023 08:34:19(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Hi all,

Fire panel in constant fault due to poorly installed smoke beam detection system, installation company since gone into liquidation so can't be made right by them.

Current fire contactor recommended installing a new aspirating detection system rather than replacing/upgrading the not-fit-for-purpose beam detection system (sensors misaligned, sensors installed on sides, sensors blocked by high racking and constant FLT use, sensors installed too close to structural beams and light sources, sensors don’t cover the mezzanine at all, new VLM Picking machine blocks beams, etc.)

I thoroughly compared the two systems and decided the more expensive aspirating system would be the best option of our sites needs.

For diligence I sought another few quotes, the next best contractor pooh-poohed an aspirating system as being an unnecessary expense and that a point detection system would be significantly cheaper, easier to install and more suitable for ongoing maintenance/running costs in the long term.

So now I have three options with various pros and cons, and I am now feeling confused!

The more expensive aspirating system has been approved by the company’s finances, but IF the point detection system is better as well as cheaper it would be an extra win for me and the company. I've written-off the beam detection option as not suitable for our site due to layout, occupancy and use.

So, which is a better system for a low risk warehouse; aspirating or point detection?

Thanks

firesafety101  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2023 12:53:54(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi,  It can take a long time for smoke to reach a normal smoke detecter (Point type) whearas an Aspirating type actively draws air in along its pipework therefore quicker to detect and sound the alarm.

I don't advise either because its not for me to do so but if as you say you have the funds available I know what I would choose.

Hope this has helped.

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 20/12/2023(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2023 13:01:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Why not a heat rise system? Beat the burning toast.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2023 13:01:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Why not a heat rise system? Beat the burning toast.

firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2023 13:43:52(UTC)
firesafety101

Or have sandwiches instead

Self and Hasty  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2023 14:29:40(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Originally Posted by: firesafety101 Go to Quoted Post

Hi,  It can take a long time for smoke to reach a normal smoke detecter (Point type) whearas an Aspirating type actively draws air in along its pipework therefore quicker to detect and sound the alarm.

I don't advise either because its not for me to do so but if as you say you have the funds available I know what I would choose.

Hope this has helped.

Thanks for not advising, that was enough subtle confirmation to help a decision.

Thanks

Messey  
#7 Posted : 20 December 2023 21:21:52(UTC)
Messey

Aspirating all day long More flexible in terms of avoiding unwanted signals whilst detecting fires at their earliest stage, can handle dusty dirty or difficult environments, can be used with different types of alarm systems and can be serviced without the need for access equipment or moving stock  ​​​​​​​Whats not to like? 

thanks 3 users thanked Messey for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 21/12/2023(UTC), firesafety101 on 21/12/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 24/12/2023(UTC)