Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stephen Hill  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2024 13:36:59(UTC)
Stephen Hill

Hello All,  Happy new year

I have started with a new employer and am required to obtain a CSCS card, I am a Safety Advisor and have done so fo rthe last 10 years.

I believe that to obtain a CSCS card I am required to hold the NEBOSH Construction, I only have the General, other than many other qualifications.

Can i ask your collective thoughts, so i bite the bullet and do the Construction exam?

Cheers

achrn  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2024 14:16:34(UTC)
achrn

You don't need NEBOSH specifically to get a CSCS card, but you do need some sort of qualification CSCS recognise.

If you're a competence assessed member of a recognised institution you can get a 'PQP' card.  The list of associations is at https://www.cscs.uk.com/card-type/professionally-qualified-person/ 

If you have a relevant construction related qualification (certain degrees, HNDs, HNCs, CIOB Certificates and NEBOSH diplomas) you can get a 'AQP' card. You can use the search tool at https://www.cscsonline.uk.com/card-finder and select ‘qualification’ to check eligibility.

However, CSCS intends that only workers with genuine construction-related skills hold a card, so even if you have a very particular set of skills acquired over a very long career, if CSCS does not have them categorised as construction-related, it may not be possible to obtain a card.

Edited by user 08 January 2024 15:06:45(UTC)  | Reason: spilling

thanks 2 users thanked achrn for this useful post.
Stephen Hill on 08/01/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 10/01/2024(UTC)
Pirellipete  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2024 09:33:03(UTC)
Pirellipete

I tried to renew my Managers & Professionals card recently, and the only IOSH qualification they would accept is a Chartered Member (Maybe GradIOSH as well, but I don't think so).

Surprisingly though, I can get MAP level membership through my IEMA membership at PIEMA grade, 

Is your employer doing the CSCS card as a 'Tick Box' thing ? or have they stated what level card you must have, cos it used to be possible to get a card as a 'Regular Site Visitor' or something similar, so if you 'just' need a card, and not specifically a MAP level card,  look and see what cards they do that you can get maybe

Edited by user 10 January 2024 09:40:29(UTC)  | Reason: additions

thanks 1 user thanked Pirellipete for this useful post.
peter gotch on 10/01/2024(UTC)