Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IanBaldock  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2024 15:19:00(UTC)
IanBaldock

Hi Fellow Safety Professionals,

Does anyone have any experience with employee anti-coagulant medicine use risk assessments?

I have been asked by our Occupational helath Provider to write a RA for an employee who wishes to retrun to work, post having stents fitted due to a minor heart attack.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2024 16:38:21(UTC)
A Kurdziel

This is why OH people annoy me sometimes. The risk posed by medical treatment is medical question that needs to be addressed by a medically qualified person who you have hired to give you medical based advice. Half the time their advice boils down to the get the non medically qualified H&S person to do a risk assessment, where they have no idea of the hazard or the risk!

So what is the risk? Will the person bleed out if they have the smallest cut? Do they bruise with the slightest knock? Are they at risk of long-term impairment an increased risk of bleeding inside joints or the brain. Perhaps though the effect is minor and only noticeable if the they have a  major injury.

..but that’s medical question!

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 11/01/2024(UTC), Kate on 11/01/2024(UTC), aud on 20/01/2024(UTC)
Holliday42333  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2024 16:45:31(UTC)
Holliday42333

I completely agree with A Kurdziel.

There is not much point in engaging with an Occipational Health provider if they dont provide details about how to manage health in an occupational setting (rather than a medical setting).

The standard (and correct) answer to these types of questions is to refer them to an Occ Health provider!

thanks 3 users thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 11/01/2024(UTC), Kate on 11/01/2024(UTC), aud on 20/01/2024(UTC)
firesafety101  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2024 11:10:35(UTC)
firesafety101

Great question and also great answers.

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 15/01/2024(UTC)
DH1962  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2024 16:27:53(UTC)
DH1962

Nearly finished for the day so just joining in for a moan:

I have encountered helpful OH providers but when I looked after the DSE programme for a few thousand people the OH  assessment would typically consist of a wordy summary of what the affected individual had told them plus some generic text about (for example) lower spinal conditions. It would then conclude that “someone” (muggins here) needed to carry out a workstation assessment and  “get a lumbar support chair”.

I ALREADY KNEW THAT!

As I’ve just commented about something else OH providers also sell the ability to claim diligence when dealing with an employee with a health condition in case of complaints, tribunals, etc.

thanks 4 users thanked DH1962 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/01/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 19/01/2024(UTC), aud on 20/01/2024(UTC), LancBob on 24/01/2024(UTC)