Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cadden33386  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2024 09:48:03(UTC)
Cadden33386

With the new procedures being adopted by the SFRS we have a fire procedure in place for certain buildings that when the fire alarm is activated relevant trained staff proceed to the fire panel and then two members of staff proceed to the relevant area to confirm that there is a fire (just a quick summary). Then we can call the SFRS and confirm that there is a fire etc.

However the problem is that we are finding it difficut as staff are not volunteering to attend the relevant training to become the fire investigators for that building.

Has anyone else came accross this issue or similar issue and what actions were taken.

I am not totally convinced we can force staff to beconme fire investigators however after reading  HASAWA and Fire legislation about ten times i am on the fence at the moment. Appreciate any comments etc 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2024 10:48:13(UTC)
Roundtuit

You make it a management rather than staff responsibility as at the end of the day they will have the control authority to direct company employees.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2024 10:48:13(UTC)
Roundtuit

You make it a management rather than staff responsibility as at the end of the day they will have the control authority to direct company employees.

firesafety101  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2024 11:18:52(UTC)
firesafety101

Difficult if looking for volunteers to enter what could be a fire area, who would reasonably do that unless a firefighter.

Maybe if there was a carrot like some extra payment for being a Fire Warden who has relevant training and a badge to wear stating Fire Warden.

Good luck.

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2024 11:47:37(UTC)
A Kurdziel

We have had this for years at sites where I have been working. The fire alarm is activated and a member of security pops around and sees if there is any evidence of an actual fire. They are not expected to enter a blazing inferno and hopefully the fire alarm has been activated before the fire has really taken hold. If you have vision panels in your doors, then they can see into the room without having to open the door. That’s why you make sure that vision panels are uncovered, and people don’t put that plastic film on them.

Calling the people who do this “fire investigators” is a bit grandiose as it implies that they need extensive training in the cause of fire etc.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 12/01/2024(UTC)
achrn  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2024 12:21:14(UTC)
achrn

We have substantially the same arrangements - in the event of an alarm everyone out, then the fire wardens discuss and if there has been no positive evidence of a fire at least two re-enter together to first inspect the fire panel and then to try and locate the fire.

However, I don't have any problem getting volunteers.  None of our fire wardens have expressed any concern about this specific aspect of the duties - do you know that it is that aspect that is deterring volunteers?  Or are you stuck with a 'never volunteer for anything' workplace?

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
peter gotch on 12/01/2024(UTC)
firesafety101  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2024 11:07:03(UTC)
firesafety101

In my experience it is the trade union that requires payment to "volunteers" who investigate potential fires.  Same with trade union safety reps.

If a blazing inferno there is no need to look any further but simply call the fire service.

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 16/01/2024(UTC)
Messey  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2024 19:25:26(UTC)
Messey

Originally Posted by: firesafety101 Go to Quoted Post

Difficult if looking for volunteers to enter what could be a fire area, who would reasonably do that unless a firefighter.

With respect FS101, this attitude is part of the reason why volunteers are often tricky to find

As you will know, the fire service have been called out many tens of thousands of times every year to check whether theres a fire or not. Its not thier role and has always been a waste of resources and in some cases, an unnecessary risk to the community and public alike 

With a simple workable procedure, the risk to staff is negible. The fire service will respond if there's a fire, smell of smoke, hot walls or anything out of the ordanairy. If you call and say the fire alarm has activated, there no sign of fire but the lights are flashing on and off - the fire service would turn out

So the process and training stresses should ask staff if they have a smoke detector at home. Then what would they do if it went off ? Most will say they'd have a look around. It could be argued that the employer is asking you to do the same at work

I support the stance many fire services are taking now not to attend fire alarm calls except in special circumstances or unless fire is confirmed or suspected. Its not an onerous or in most cases, a hazardous task to verify the alarm. 

How to get staff to volunteer? We give our Fire Wardens an extra day off a years and points on their annual appraisal . We have plenty of volunteers. 

thanks 3 users thanked Messey for this useful post.
HSSnail on 16/01/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 16/01/2024(UTC), Kate on 16/01/2024(UTC)
firesafety101  
#9 Posted : 16 January 2024 11:48:45(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi Messey, with regard to my attitude it comes from experience dealing with employees who are members of a trade union.  I worked for a factory employing 1800 workers and I had 28 'volunteers' who were firemen/women.  They received renumeration for attending 1 hour training every week, every year at summer holidy time they were paid.  I was always inundated with requests from the factory floor from people interested in joining my Brigade.  Backed by the very strong trade union.