Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bod212  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2024 16:19:33(UTC)
bod212

Hypothetical only. Let`s say a project is not planned to trigger the criteria for a notifiable job. No F10 is submitted. The project starts. Time passes. It is then found that emergent necessary reasons require the extension of it and it then moves into notifiable territory. What action would be necessary?

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2024 16:58:01(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi bod

This is far from "hypothetical" - something that has happened 1000s of times since project notifications were required before anyone had even thought of CDM.

Somewhat to my surprise is is actually covered in the guidance, L153 that supports CDM 2015

48 If a construction project is not notifiable at first, but there are subsequent changes to its scope so that it fits the criteria for notification, the client must notify the work to the relevant enforcing authority as soon as possible.

On the assumption that the enforcing authority is HSE then I would avoid using the online notification system and instead send the required information (as specified in Schedule 1 to the Regulations) to HSE Bootle with an explanation that the project was not initially notifiable but now is. Reduces the chance of an HSE person asking difficult QQ!

In ye olden days pre CDM some contractor would get a job to build a house and would work out that they could do it in less than 30 days but then the rain came or e.g. the excavator broke down and the ridiculously overoptimistic programme got extended. As an HSE Inspector I was never impressed by the idea that the project had not been notifiable in the first place.