Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TigerJ  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2024 10:13:41(UTC)
TigerJ

We are being encouraged by one of the accreditation bodies to include behavioural safety / behavioural management in our policy arrangements.  They say this is considered industry best practice in 2023.  We are a landscaping company with 150 employees.

I consulted the HSE website which gives a summary of the subject.  However, there is one phrase that I did not understand (below).  Can anyone explain what 'Boots not leaks' means?

• Tend to ignore low probability, high consequence risks. 'Boots not leaks' - can draw attention away from process safety
Kate  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2024 10:30:03(UTC)
Kate

This refers to various disasters in the oil and gas industry where the management thought they were doing a great job on safety because they would go on safety tours and criticise workers who were not wearing the required PPE.  However they did next to nothing to prevent dangerous process failures such as leaks which did cause disasters.  The boots are much more easily visible but much less important than the precursors to leaks, so "boots not leaks" means focusing on what is visible rather than what is safety-critical.

Edited by user 18 January 2024 10:31:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
TigerJ on 18/01/2024(UTC), Evans38004 on 18/01/2024(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 18/01/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 18/01/2024(UTC), SteveForrest on 18/01/2024(UTC), MikeKelly on 19/01/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2024 15:51:32(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Tiger

In addition to what Kate has said.....

There are two schools of thought that are in vogue.

1. Behavioural safety.

2. Safety Differently aka Safety II or other names 

....and "best practice" in 2024 is likely to mean bits of both, but the proponents of each of the two schools sometimes try to assert that only their model works, with some of those advocating BS tending to be more vocal on the issue.

So, BS is about checking that the worker follows the rules and engages in programmes such as submitting "observations", usually about what is not right, occasionally with more balance so as to comment on what is being done well.

Safety Differently tends to assume that decision making should be more devolved to those doing the job, so that when something goes wrong, instead of finding someone close to the front line to blame and perhaps adding yet more bureaucracy into managing health and safety, you get much more involvement from the workforce in deciding what will actually work. Safety as Done, rather than Safety as Imagined (where the imagination is usually that of people in suits).

BS also focuses on accident numbers and accident rates, perhaps with some refinement to look at so called SIFs (Serious Injuries and Fatalities) or latterly SIIFs (Serious Injuries, Illnesses and Fatalities). So lots of pretty graphs, which hopefully manage to show a declining trend year on year, and if that doesn't happen then history tells us that the cheating tends to start.

Problem is that not only is BS not a very smart way of dealing with the low probability, high consequence events of the type that Kate has referred to, but it is also poor when it comes to longer term impacts, such as most occupational ill health and/or environmental impacts.

Let's take your landscaping operations. BS will pick up when the people on the ground are not wearing their PPE, or perhaps not maintaining the "minimum sideways clearance" if you are doing the verge of a road, but it's very unlikely to notice that your plant could slide down the hillside and cause a multiple pile up on the road below.

....and if you do not have a procedure in place it is not likely to pick up that workers are at risk of HAVS until the first cases are confirmed, even less likely to recognise that some may pick up lung diseases from exposure to multiple airborne risks.

....and my guess is that your person from an accreditation body has never heard of Lyme's Disease or that they understand the biosecurity risks you could be spreading.

thanks 5 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/01/2024(UTC), TigerJ on 18/01/2024(UTC), Kate on 18/01/2024(UTC), MikeKelly on 19/01/2024(UTC), SteveL on 22/01/2024(UTC)
Kate  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2024 17:20:23(UTC)
Kate

And it is of course very apt to refer to this as BS.

I admit that when I first heard about Safety Differently, I thought that was just business as usual as far as I was concerned and I was surprised to see it branded that way.

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
peter gotch on 19/01/2024(UTC), O'Donnell54548 on 20/01/2024(UTC)
MikeKelly  
#5 Posted : 19 January 2024 12:00:53(UTC)
MikeKelly

Kate,  that reference to 'boots and leak's has completely passed me by over a career of many years.

Where did you get it from may I ask?

Regards

Mike 

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2024 14:46:29(UTC)
peter gotch

Mike, it comes from this page on the HSE website which discusses some of the pros and cons of BS programs (US spelling deliberate).

Human factors: Behavioural safety approaches - an introduction (hse.gov.uk)

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 20/01/2024(UTC)
Kate  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2024 17:47:12(UTC)
Kate

I believe I came across this in coverage of the causes of the Deepwater Horizon disaster.  It is remembered as an environmental disaster, but workers also died

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 20/01/2024(UTC)
MikeKelly  
#8 Posted : 20 January 2024 11:19:22(UTC)
MikeKelly

Bonjour Kate/Peter

Thanks for that.

I was reasonably up to date with Deepwater Horizon but missed 'Boots and Leaks' reference. Yes, I seem to remember that 11 people died as well as the billions 'lost' by BP--[beyond petroleum, eh?] plus the livelihoods of many in the Gulf.

Peter, I'd have most likely missed anything to do with BS!

cordialement

Mike

peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 20 January 2024 16:51:00(UTC)
peter gotch

Bonjour Mike

BP

Grangemouth 2000 - three bangs in 11 days. On the Scottish (and possibly national) TV news the same evening as Bang No 3, a spokesman for BP explained that there was no link between Bangs Nos 1 and 3 despite Bang No 3 occuring whilst they were recommissioning the plant involved in Bang No 1. Even at the time, I rather doubted that the public would swallow this BEFORE any serious investigation could be done.

Anyway, no serious injuries but HSE did an investigation led by Alistair McNab, BP were prosecuted and HSE published a report.

Then Texas City 2005, shortly after BP had received the "Telos" report which BP tried to keep out of the public domain but you should still be able to find it and it makes for chilling reading.

15 deaths and about 200 OSHA "recordables" almost all down to people (mostly working for my then employer, Jacobs) being in site huts that were much closer to the hazard than BP's own standards required. 

So the Chemical Safety Board set up an inquiry and Alistair was duly seconded over to CSB to serve on the panel.

Subsequently I have listened to Alistair commenting at a conference that he could almost have tippexed out Grangemouth 2000 from the HSE report and inserted Texas City 2005 for the CSB one, as there were so many common underlying causes, such as old plant not getting enough preventive maintenance.

Then five years later Deepwater Horizon.

Part of BP's solution seems to have been to offload some of its sites so Grangemouth went to INEOS who then brought in PetroChina as well. Have just announced that they are going to stop refining at Grangemouth and instead bring in imports. 

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 21/01/2024(UTC)